The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nimoy was one cool customer but one thing I don't get!

Just watched A Stitch in Crime and I have to say that Nimoy was as cool as Spock in most of that episode. My only query - can any of you guys help me out - did Nimoy kill the ex-addict or did he just fall down those stairs and injure himself, I can't remember if it's revealed in the script.

Must admit Nimoy did a fine job and the scene where he is laughing and Columbo flips - perfect!

Re: Nimoy was one cool customer but one thing I don't get!

Most who post here think that he died, but I
assumed he didn't, that Columbo talked to him
and Harry convinced him that he hadn't taken
the drugs by himself. On the other hand, perhaps
Dr Mayfield realized that he had to give him
a fatal dose because he might end up talking
and convincing Columbo. So it seems 50/50.

Incidentally, Mayfield's house was also the very same place they shot (no pun intended) the pool scene in "Magnum Force", where a youthful Suzanne Somers exposes her own hardware just before that rogue cop opens fire on them all.

It makes sense too, because Universal was involved and they were both produced in 1973.

He definitely intended for the ex-addict to overdose. It was the same morphine as the bottles that he planted in the nurses bathroom.

Re: Re: Nimoy was one cool customer but one thing I don't get!

This was one of his best lines. He counters Columbo's questions with ones of his own. Columbo says, "Gee, you ask tough questions." Mayfield gives a big smile and says, "So does a jury."

Re: Of course he died!

Of course he died! Or else he would tell Columbo about "some guy that was waiting in my apt. and pumped me full of morphine". If he hadn't died they would have mentioned it. No lose ends.

Nice tight jeans on Jared Martin by the way!