The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I may be the only person who thinks this way

I'm not a fan of this episode from the point of view that it has got all manner of padding in. It's got way too many Columbo being 'funny old Columbo' moments in it.

But what is wrong with The Conspirators?

Re: Re: I may be the only person who thinks this way

I suppose it is an interesting point about "Forgotten Lady" that someone can shoot someone in the head and still have most of the audience feel sorry for her in the end. That is the magic within this particular script.

Let's not forget that Grace Wheeler already had the death sentence.

I'm not so sure he "let" her get away with it.

The evidence was not an absolute proof. The dancing partner was claiming that he did it.

It would take Columbo six months to actually get her to trial.

Interesting ending, but still satisfied the "how's he gonna catch her" formula (legals notwithstanding).

He didn't let a perpetrator get away with anything, because his first duty was to process a confession to the crime. His claim on Grace was only circumstantial anyway. He had NO iron clad proof, just probable cause to arrest her on suspicion.

In my view, that closing scene made the episode and among the most poignant ever produced:

"It won't take much to break your story..."

"It might take a couple of months..."

"Yes ... yes it might".