The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Leslie Nielsen

Wuahahaaah, yeah, Mind over Mayhem was rubbish.

Re: Leslie Nielsen

Mind over Mayhem had the potential to be a good episode, if they hadn't made so many silly decisions with it. I can envision a decent episode set in a think tank, in which a robot is programmed to complete a task while someone is away.

They made it silly by having the robot actually type on the keyboard, which is ludicrous because robots cannot even do that today. They made it doubly silly by making the characters into caricatures. The acting in this episode was about the worst in the original episodes. The boy genius was silly, and the psychologist and the son of the murderer parts were both very badly acted. Tone down the caricatures, make the plot more realistic, and keep Jose Ferrer in the role as murderer, and the general idea could possibly have worked. The match was a great clue. What a waste the rest of it was.

Re: Re: Leslie Nielsen

I agree that Jose Ferrer could make a good murderer, but that garbage episode misused his abilities.
When I think of him, I am reminded of his great role
in "Lawrence of Arabia" playing the sadistic Turkish
Governor of Dera'a who homosexually assaulted
Lawrence. He talks about Lawrence having "an interesting face" but then notes his men would never
recognize an "interesting face". He adds "I am
surrounded by cattle!"