The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: More Comments on "Playback"

The thought of anyone sitting anywhere and those cameras all over the inside of my house just gives me the creeps.

Re: More Comments on "Playback"

YM, why do you have such an axe to grind regarding this ep? You really do hate it.

It is one of the better, if not the best, epsiodes of Columbo. The final clue is brilliant and absolutely comdemning, Gena Rowlands is great, yes the art gallery scene is a little silly, but like someone posted recently, it does have that classic line by Columbo when faced with a piece of modern art.."this does nothing for me".
Much like this episode for you I guess YM.

But for the record as I have mentioned before, this is one of Falk's own personal favs.

I'm with YM on this episode. I find that the plot is very laboured: the whole thing with the shot, the zooming camera, and the tapes. For me this is one of the second rank of Columbo episodes.

Am amazed that Falk has this as one of his favourites. Do you know why he likes this one so much?

Re: Re: Re: More Comments on "Playback"

I like this ep but each time we get to the part about the program, I remember an old I Love Lucy ep in which all the evidence points to Ricky being out all night--but finally exonerates himself by a program. Also really like the end . . . Columbo saying this will be his last visit, etc. Good traditional conclusion.

There's a tiny thing about this one, that has nothing directly to do with the crime, that bothers me. Everyone at that party "oohs" and "aahs" about Oskar Werner's digital watch - not so much how fancy it is, but the FACT that it's a digital watch. It seems to me that a digital watch in the mid-' 70s wouldn't be that much of a novelty. (Relatively new, but that's about all. But maybe I'm wrong.)

A lot of times when actors have favorite episodes of their own series, it has more to do with fond personal memories of making those episodes rather than the entertainment value of the episodes themselves. I would guess that working with Gena Rowlands was a great pleasure for Falk.

I consider "Playback" to be good, but not one of my own personal favorites. YM brings up some good points that I can somewhat agree with.

I did enjoy this one, ok not the finest but some nice scenes e.g Columbo asking how much the air vent costs and I do like the end where Harold is almost shouting at his wofe to get him out of the mess he's in with the invitation and of course a very dishy receptionist at the art gallery!

Well, I kind of like this episode...I admit I never really connected the dots regarding only the bedroom door opening, and the ability of the videotape to zoom like that is pure fiction, but, you know, when you like something you generally give it more slack than otherwise. I like the acting, and I like the story line in general, even though the technical details don't add up. I love that scene in the art gallery where the 'nice new young girl'(lol) looks over at Harold and he gives her that flirtatious gaze..makes me crack up every time I see it.

yes, that leer was exceptionally well done.

i also love the little gestapo bow he gives mrs. midas as he is leaving the room after being fired.

Re: More Comments on

I personally would rate it as my 2nd favourite ep, only after "Try and Catch Me"

Re: More Comments on

What I like about Columbo is watching Columbo and the suspect interact. This is why I can watch an episode so many times.

Playback had some really good interaction between Columbo and Harold. Watching Harold's pent up anger and frustration was fun, especially when confronted by an innocent person just doing his job without a care in the world, meanwhile Harold has all this guilt, anger and frustration boiling inside.

One of the best examples of this was Death Lends A Hand.

As for the doors opening when the gun was shot, in the surveillance tape you can see the front door open while the Margret falls to the ground. And there's a goof on the tape.... there is a puff of gunshot smoke that comes out in the upper left hand corner of the surveillance tape....there's no way the gun was shot from behind the camera mounted up on the wall!