The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A question of episode length!

This question has probably been asked and answered on here numerous times but if you guys could bear with me and enlighten me as to why some episodes are relatively short and some are longer?

Re: A question of episode length!

Some episodes are LONGER that should have been SHORTER. (FYI - No Time To Die -- Could have been wrapped up wihout even filming anything). Universal made these movies for two spots 1. 90 minutes or 2. 2 hours. Why is only in the minds of the producers. I suppose some of the writers get writers block and decide "well, lets wind it up this way. (the 90 minute epsisodes). Others drag things out and (although humorous in many spots) add "filler footage" to the episode (i.e. Columbo getting pulled over by the Highway Patrol check point to see if his car is in good shape, or in "Swan Song" when he's at the funeral parlor and has a 5-minute discussion with the funeral director about his own passing).

OK, I've rambled on long enough.

Re: A question of episode length!

NBC changed its mind a couple of times about how long the "Mystery Movie" time slot would be.