The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steinmetz

I offered my whole theory on Brenner once before that I think explains his whole motive thing and I'll do so again. To me, the key to understanding him is his remark, "I find it dull," when Columbo acts in awe over the opulent lifestyle he leads where he has anything at his disposal. Brenner goes to the trouble of inventing Steinmetz, confounding his own bosses at the CIA and in effect screwing them, not because he has any traitorous impulses, but because to him, it's all a giant thrill that he does just to see if his brilliant mind can do it.

Brenner is ultimately a lot like the title character of the Steve McQueen movie "The Thomas Crown Affair", a guy who has it all and should be able to enjoy his life, but who plans a heist just because he wants to show he can beat the system. So too is it of Brenner in why he invents Steinmetz and engages in this whole game to begin with.

Re: Re: Steinmetz

I would add that Steinmetz, when expected to be a suspect, would be an impossible person to find...being non-existent.

Re: Re: Steinmetz and quick word association

Hey Hey: Steinmetz...Thomas Crown....Faye Dunaway...Chess Game....but finally checkmated by Columbo. Which kiss did Faye Dunaway like better? T. Crown or Columbo ?