The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Peter's Book: Anybody got it?

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I am going to repeat
what I have said in the past in this forum....we are fans of Columbo and we appreciate Peter Falk's immense contribution to making Columbo what it became....HOWEVER that doesn't necessarily mean that Peter Falk is an interesting person, nor does it mean his autobiography would be interesting. (I do not know Peter Falk, and I am talking about actors in general). Many actors (again, I don't say this necessarily mean this includes Peter Falk) are very egotistical (maybe most of them) and it is hard to determine how much of what they say is true, particularly if they are very critical of the people they worked with or encountered. A very popular star of a very popular, cult TV series a few years ago came out with an autobiography that dumped on most of the people he was associated with. One of his costars said they were suprised the book was listed in the "non-fiction" section. I think that what interests us Columbo fans is his work with the series, what it was like to work with the co-stars, directors, producers and how he inputted into Columbo's character. If most of the book deals with this, then it might be interesting, but if most of the book deals with other matters, I would not find it interesting.

Re: Peter's Book: Anybody got it?

ym...you could never ever ever be a 'wet blanket'

i understand your points that you made and i truly agree. just being a celebrity doesn't automatically make you interesting.
i don't want to reveal all that much about what i have read so far. maybe we can discuss it more in depth at a later date. i just don't want to ruin it for others who will be getting the book in the near future. but i will just say that his humor shines through here...and also his honesty and his 'common folk' kind of attitude.
i know this is a columbo forum, and i realize that some here ONLY know peter through his columbo character, but i was a peter falk fan way before i was a columbo fan...remember i'm old! so for me, an autobiography from him is really something i've waited years for.

No, you make perfect sense, YM. That is why I asked the question. I have a family member who loves a different celebrity, but it is not because of one show--it is because of him....so she collects everything she finds about him, no matter where it is from.

Me, personally, I love Columbo. I have great affection for Peter Falk for having brought Columbo to life, but I have no desire to see, for example, the Christmas movies he has done. I started watching one once, and ended up putting on "Ransom for a Dead Man" for the 300th time, instead. I am interested in the autobiography mainly for anything new or interesting he has to say about what it was like to do Columbo, and be Columbo.

Thanks for articulating that, YM. Cassa, can you say just generally, are you learning new things about Columbo from the autobiography? How rich is the book in that regard?

"Cassa, can you say just generally, are you learning new things about Columbo from the autobiography? How rich is the book in that regard?"

laura..i have read and heard so much stuff about peter falk throughout my lifetime so some of the stories are like little nuggets of my memories that i have heard about time and time again, especially the stuff with cassavetes. but there are a few that are new to me..so that is fun.
one example.........oh dear!! should i do a *spoiler alert*??????....
well there is one 'chapter' where he talks about the song 'this old man' and how he incorporated it into a scene of columbo..and it was just so wonderful to read about.

if you get to read this book, please listen to the words closely..you can actually hear peter saying them..you can hear his voice and you can sense his humor...it is really a trip!

thanks for the review, cassa. i am glad his voice comes through. i am really looking forward to it. :)