The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A theme running through Season 6?

In my opinion this is a bit too far-fetched; you can find something like that (sympathetic murderes) in many other eps throughout the entire series.

But again, this is just my opinion :-)

None, except that misguided ideas are the reason I won't add seasons 6 or 7 to my Columbo collection.

roy springer said...
"None, except that misguided ideas are the reason I won't add seasons 6 or 7 to my Columbo collection."
huh??

fielding,obviously one can feel sympathetic toward all 3 of these murderers. there definitely could have been an intentionl reason on the part of the producers and writers. and you could even take it a step further and add abigail mitchell from the first episode in season 7.

I would only find sympathy for Ruth Lytton. Ward and Oliver were both a couple of jerks.

Re: Re: A theme running through Season 6?

I think the sample size (three episodes) is a little small to make any generalizations. Dawidziak points out that there are some things about the episodes produced by Richard Alan Simmons (Bye-Bye Sky High, plus all the season 7 episodes) that makes them stand out from the earlier ones:

(1) It becomes clear to the murderer right away that Columbo is a serious threat - he spends little or no time being a funny little man that the murderer figures will be no problem.

(2) Columbo talks more about his past - in specific detail.

(3) The murderers have more defined back-stories; we learn more about what made them the people they are.

I don't know if the Simmons episodes are really all that different from what preceded them, but I find Dawidziak's thoughts interesting.

Re: Re: Re: A theme running through Season 6?

Was Oliver the Theodore Bikel character, married to the Samantha Eggar one? If so, it's easy to have mixed feelings about such a "vile wife."

yes, she was vile...

i half expected her to get murdered along the way, somehow.

Re: Re: A theme running through Season 6?

I thnk I'd murder a dozen business partners to keep the Samantha Eggar character in those silk robes. Besides, I don't agree that the main character was a jerk. Theodore Bikel made him much too sensitive, especially in that last scene. The look he gives, when he realizes he's incriminated himself, almost makes you want to cry.