The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Matlock Gets Ideas From Columbo - But Columbo is #1

The most obvious "Columbo" copy of all in "Matlock" was in the pilot, "Diary of a Perfect Murder," in which the final clue was the same as in "Columbo: Etude in Black." However, this is what actually attracted me to the "Matlock" series and perhaps others were hooked because of these similarities as well.

The copying continued into the second "Matlock" story, the 1986-87 season premiere episode in which Dick Van **** as killer Judge Carter Addison tried to dispose of incriminating clothes and in reality they were replacements. This was all too similar to the ending of "Columbo: Make Me a Perfect Murder."

Another one was an episode with Roddy McDowall midway through the first season of "Matlock" in which the ending bears an annoyingly similar tone to the climax of "Columbo: Short Fuse." This is my all time favorite episode of the "Columbo" series and I was not all that thrilled about it trying to be copied. However, it was nice to see Roddy do another "Matlock" a season or two later with Anne Francis, reuniting the two from that first season "Columbo" classic.

Yup. That's why I call it the "stain" in Andy Griffith's career. In my book, it's nothing but a cheesy compilation of 2nd tier actors and stolen ideas.

It's predictable nature bored me to tears for that reason. I gave the show a chance too ... a local channel began running it in the morning here, but it didn't take exposure to very many episodes to reach the logical conclusions.

I couldn't stand the incongruous casting either and it was the first time I'd ever I found Griffith annoying in any role. Even its theme song irritates me, but I've detected hot merchandise from many shows: including Banacek, McCloud, Perry Mason, etc.

However, I DO adore the way women primped back then, and it IS still a hit with the geriatric crowd.

Matlock was predictable and 2 hours long.

It was aired in the awful 80's.

I think that's enough said.

Please do not compare our beloved Columbo with (gag-me) Matlock.

Thank you!!