The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: series 4

hi nick.
yes, ben gazzara was in 'the bridge at remagen'(you spelled it right ) and he was quite good in it...also in that movie were two columbo alums, robert vaughn and bradford dillman.
the series you are thinking of is 'run for your life'. that was a good show..sort of like 'the fugitive'. the funny thing about it though, is that yes, he was given a year to live, but the series lasted 3 seasons!
i also enjoyed him in 'QB VII'. that was the first tv miniseries. it also starred anthony hopkins.
he really is quite good in most everything i've seen him in, but the most wonderful piece of acting i have seen him do was a small role in a 'bob hope presents chrysler theatre' production entitled 'free of charge'. he plays a down and out poet. and he is really amazing in it.

Re: Re: series 4

I've particularly enjoyed Ben Gazzara's small roles in Buffalo 66 and Happiness.

Bridge over Remagen also starred George Segal. Wonderful actor with a lovely, sinewy, smooth, sardonic way of talking. I often think he would have made a fantastic opponent for Columbo.

Re: Re: series 4

Dear Cassavetes45
Thanks for your response, am I showing my age rememberimg "Run for your Life".If memory serves Ben Gazarra was quite a rebel in Remagen playing along side George Segal.But sadly Robert Vaughn died at the end.Robert's career seems not to have stopped, he is still working.He is the only surviving member of the "seven".He has recently been seen here in "Hustle" a group of conmen working in London.I had forgotten that "Run for your life" went on for so long,and yes it was like the"Fugitive.
bye for now

hey nick...i've seen 'hustle' a few times and it's not a bad show...it sort of pulls you in.
as far as ben gazzara goes he put out an autobiography entitled 'in the moment'...and it is a terrific book. he is quite open and honest in it..sometimes quite shockingly so. and he is very forthcoming about his bout with depression after the death of his good friend john cassavetes...which almost destroyed him. he continues to work on and off in movies and on stage. i have always thought that he is one of the most underated actors of his day.

Hi,
I have to agree with you Nick. It really pees me off that every season 1-4 box release has been issued in a different format, including packaging, menus, extras etc. And now to really take the pi**, I have found that "Universal" are about to release a 17 disc box set of seasons 1-4 for £47.99. Which means they have ripped us off on price as well. No doubt this box set will probably be in a uniform package so that it will look nice on the shelf, while our high priced individually purchased sets look at. I have included a link below for anyone that's interested.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1125647/Columbo_Complete_Seasons_1_4/Product.html

Hi,
I have to agree with you Nick. It really pees me off that every season 1-4 box release has been issued in a different format, including packaging, menus, extras etc. And now to really take the pi**, I have found that "Universal" are about to release a 17 disc box set of seasons 1-4 for £47.99. Which means they have ripped us off on price as well. No doubt this box set will probably be in a uniform package so that it will look nice on the shelf, while our high priced individually purchased sets look odd. I have included a link below for anyone that's interested.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1125647/Columbo_Complete_Seasons_1_4/Product.html