The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will There Ever Be Another Series Like Columbo

I know they tried and failed miserably with Kate Mulgrew as the Mrs. But maybe one of his kids? Still, the writers would never be able to duplicate the magic that was on the original series. Originals are always the best, whether it be movies, TV shows, or whatever.

Re: Will There Ever Be Another Series Like Columbo

The answer to that is obvious. Can you think of any shows that even compare to those productions?

TV as we knew it is DEAD. That's why DVD sales of shows from decades ago are staggering.

It's irony in motion too, because they improved the device, but the trash it delivers today isn't worth it.

Re: Re: Will There Ever Be Another Series Like Columbo

As everyone here knows, it was a one-of-a-kind show when it was being made. I have nothing against those detective shows from the same years (I'm plenty sentimental about ones like Mannix), but compared to Columbo, they were "formula" shows (though there's nothing so wrong with that). So, even though I'm preaching to the choir, there won't be another Columbo NOW, for the simple reason that there wasn't another one THEN. (Ellery Queen, by the same two creators, came about the closest.)

Re: Will There Ever Be Another Series Like Columbo

Steve
I agree 100% that the show could not be duplicated, it was a masterpiece of writing, acting and entertainment.
You really had to watch the show to catch all the trips and falls. Watch the battle of wits unfold with Columbo and the baddie (murderer).
Many shows of the time were shown over here as The Sunder Night Mystery Movies that included McMillan, McCloud,Cannon and Banachek with the late George Peppard.
This show I think came the closest to Columbos style of wit innunedo etc.
But for Columbo to be reborn on the original format no doubt would be virtually impossible.
The originals are by far the best.
My personal best is "Etude" with John Cassavetes and
"Excercise in Fatality" with Robert Conrad,both compelling viewing, or am I just getting old
Is their another one that beats these two episodes as the best