The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RIP, Mrs. Columbo

Vivian Dimitri has only one great quality and seeing her in that sexy red dress was it!! Other than that, she was a mean, cold hearted killer who wanted to destroy anybody that put her husband away. Columbo was very smart to have the marmalade tested before giving it to his wife. Incidentally, the picture of Columbo and the alleged "MRS" was not his wife at all. So again, we don't get to see Mrs. Columbo.

Decent episode, a 7 for me.

Re: RIP, Mrs. Columbo

Although Vivian Dimitri has very few great qualities, the actress who portrays her has many. Helen Shaver did a superb job--among the best in the history of the series.

The scene of her swaying to the music as she "bathes" herself in a projection of her deceased husband's photo is exceptionally haunting. I've always said that I feel "Rest In Peace..." is one of the best of all Columbo episodes.

Re: Re: RIP, Mrs. Columbo

Headache, I feel this is one of the best 'later' episodes. Vivian is obviously deranged, and should still to this day be under Dr. Steadman's care. Losing someone like she did could cause a resentment to harbor forever...unless it gets taken care of and she comes very close to taking care of it. But not close enough to outsmart Columbo.

Re: Re: Re: RIP, Mrs. Columbo

Great episode. One of my favorites. Though watching it you know Columbo suspects Vivian and would never give the marmalade to his wife. Peter S. Fischer wrote this and it has a similar ending to his other clever episode A Friend In Deed. (Not the convict's apt-Not Columbo's house.) I remember going out to buy lemon marmalade to try it but they only had orange. (Do they really make lemon?) And it had to be Polaner from the P shown on the episode. They've since changed the label I think. By the way how did Vivian get poison into an apparently new sealed jar?

oh!!
i can't wait to see this!!

It's interesting to see the effects of a Columbo arrest on those "left behind" - the spouse in this case. Columbo expresses that Vivian's husband seemed like a nice guy who made some (very) bad choices. So just as in other episodes, such as "Swan Song" and "Any Port", it would seem that Columbo found something to like about Vivian's murderous husband. But as always, Columbo still did his job.

Re: Re: RIP, Mrs. Columbo

Yep - Headache is correct, Columbo always does job, even with very harmless Abagail Mitchell.

Re: Re: Re: RIP, Mrs. Columbo

that just reminded me of the episode with the mother and daughter who were seduced by the same guy. he had real sympathy for them and let the daughter off completely to get the conviction for the mother. so i suppose he does bend the rules a bit now and again. is that the episode with the cleaning lady: 'on''off' fridge scene? so funny...can't recall the episode title.

snowgirl the fridge scene is from "It's all in the game" with Faye Dunaway.

That is the same episode.Faye Dunaway was the mother.