Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Reporter's location

I can tell you that ABC News Radio has us lockout from wherever we're doing the story from.

If I'm in Chicago doing a story about Gary, Indiana, the lockout is still "Steve Scott, ABC News, Chicago."

If I'm in Gary, it's "SS, ABCN, Gary, Indiana."

Can't tell you why that is...but that's ABC's rule.

We never claim to be somewhere we're not.

ss

I would agree with H. If you are not in the location close without one. With the example H gave, I would be left thinking, "Why is this guy in Chicago?".

In a perfect world, us reporters will always report from the scene. We know bosses won't pay for it though.

In KC, if the reporter was in the newsroom after coming back, we just said "This is Scott Simon in the 24-hour KMBZ Newscenter."

ABC could change it's policy to say, "In the ABC Chicago News Bureau, this is Dean Reynolds."

Listers/viewers aren't that particular about orientation (unless you mispronounce the city's name!). They know reporters go out to cover a story, then go back and produce it.

Often times, the solution is better branding. The above lockout tells the viewer its a center where important news is produced, no matter the location.

Sez