Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jim Taricani's Statement Of Dec. 1

Statement read by Jim Taricani on Dec. 1:

Last week Providence attorney Joseph Bevilacqua disclosed his identity to the Special Prosecutor and testified under oath that he was the person who gave me the "Corrente" videotape. Only after he did so, did I confirm to the Special Prosecutor that he was my source.

I am surprised and disappointed by the story Mr. Bevilacqua has provided the Special Prosecutor. He has stated that at no point did he require a promise of confidentiality from me. It is unfortunate that the pressure created by the current circumstances has led Mr. Bevilacqua to say that he did not insist I keep his name confidential. I would never have jeopardized my health and reputation, and put my family and my company through this ordeal, if my source had not required a promise of confidentiality.

In light of my upcoming sentencing on December 9, I cannot comment further.

Mr. Taricani released additional comments at 6:30 p.m.

Mr. Bevilacqua repeatedly insisted that I keep his name in confidence, despite the fact that he had signed a waiver. He told me that he had to sign the waiver, otherwise it would have raised suspicions that he was my source. As a result, I upheld my promise to him.

Mr. Bevilacqua's allegations that it was not necessary for me to keep his confidence are simply untrue. I categorically deny his account of these events.

Re: Jim Taricani's Statement Of Dec. 1

Interesting twist. I can only hope Taricani is telling the truth. Something is telling me that there's something that ain't right here. I hope I am wrong, and that this is all over for all parties involved very soon.