Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jim French Retires

I wanted to write and say Jim is really one of the good guys in our business.

I missed seeing him in Springfield in September, he was always a convention regular when I was here in the 80's.

I first met Jim in '79 my first day of work at WSDR, Rock Falls hosted Ottawa in HS b-ball - my broadcast partner was Don Mounce, an Ottawa native (now there is a name out of the past!). Don and Jim along with Jim Thompson took me out for adult beverages after the game and I'll always remember what a good way to end a first day at such a legendary station.

Jim if you are reading, I hope you will still make it to conventions from time to time.

Scott Simon

I always thought jim's broadcast were truly the epitome of local news. I recall driving on I 55 and picking up his newscast and it was chalked full of information. He always seemed very in touch with what was going on.

Jim's News was always about shoeleather and diligence...day after day after day. Good LOCAL news every time. I worked in Lasalle-Peru in the mid and late 80s and spent election nights sitting next to Jim in the basement of the Lay-salle County Courthouse. It was a treat just to watch him roll on. He knew everyone and was on good terms with most. He knows how to teach as well. A couple people in his shop won Best Reporter awards (Bill Nevin and Greg Tullis)and Nevin went on to head a statewide radio news consortium (in W. VA. I think??) His virtues are evergreen and in this age of satellite radio, we can all do worse than hold fast to his rigorous attention to the local community in our efforts to stay relevant.
Best of luck Jim. Enjoy your retirement.

Charlie Schlenker WGLT Public Radio
Normal, IL

Re: Re: Jim French Retires

It is rare that a person is as committed as Jim has been to both his station and his community for so long.
We old timers will miss your broadcasts.

H