Return to Website

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
INBA Calls on State Police Director to Lift Gag Order

The letter below has been sent to ISP Director Larry Trent, with cc's to Governor Blagojevich and Lt. Governor Quinn.

ss

Larry G. Trent, Director
Illinois State Police
125 East Monroe Street, Room 103
P.O. Box 19461
Springfield, IL 62794-9461 December 17, 2004

Dear Director Trent:
On behalf of the Illinois News Broadcasters Association (INBA) and the journalists of our state, I am calling on you to immediately lift the gag order you have imposed on Illinois State Police troopers.

The timing of your order – following a WLS-TV report spotlighting the activities of Governor Blagojevich’s ISP bodyguard unit – could not be worse. It sends the message that improprieties and cover-up are acceptable, while full disclosure and whistleblowing are not.

INBA agrees with Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn that your order will have a chilling effect on troopers who see media contact as the only way to expose wrongdoing.

Since his election in 2002, Governor Blagojevich has claimed to be a champion of open government. Your gag order directly contradicts the governor’s claim. It is imperative that you lift this order immediately.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you at greater length.

Sincerely,

Steve Scott, President
Illinois News Broadcasters Association
(contact info provided)

cc: Governor Rod Blagojevich
Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn

Re: INBA Calls on State Police Director to Lift Gag Order

Steve was the "star" of part of an IRN package on this issue today. I used it, as I'm sure many of you did.

Kudos for jumping on this issue as soon as you did.

Will