Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumb Question - Why Doesn't INBA Have A Hall Of Fame

I initially hestitated in joining this discussion, but allow for a moment of personal experience, if you please. I have been the only chair in the 15 year history of the Peoria Professional Hockey Hall of Fame Committee. It is a committee of nine to 14 members who review statistics and other information before voting on membership. It is a three step process ... nomination, preliminary vote and final vote. With that as background, may I suggest an INBA Hall of Fame will be difficult to manage. You first need a single person who is willing to undertake this project. Yes, one person to coordinate the nomination/voting process. It would be much like the head of the Honors & Awards Committee because in both cases, it is best to have one person as a central location for better coordination. Having served 20 years on the H & A committee, several of them as co-chair (with Ben Stone), it is a daunting and time consuming task. Ask Michelle if you have doubts. So who will step forward to handle such a duty?
How would voting be handled so as to assure it is beyond reproach?
What background information would be used as information for voting?
What minimum level of INBA members must vote to assure the vote is representative? If you don't reach that level, what is your recourse?
What amount of time would it take to keep the mail/e-mail addresses updated? And I agree with Steve on his points of concern.
While I personally am not casting aside the idea at this time, my experience with the Peoria Hockey Hall of Fame raises a lot of questions in my mind. We have many other important issues on the plate, and tackling a Hall of Fame at this time might detract from those projects.
For another point of view, ask any past INBA Past President if he/she had difficulties in getting nominations for Illinoisan of the Year. And if I have trouble handling a current committee membership of 13 people in one SMSA (and I do), imagine the difficulties in handling it statewide.
Worth discussing? Yes. But many hurdles must be overcome.

H