Return to Website

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: INBA to Village of Winfield: Don't Ban Taping of Public Meetings!

He seems a lot sharper since his recent wedding!

Re: INBA to Village of Winfield: Don't Ban Taping of Public Meetings!

Thanks so much for your support. Our group Winfield United for a Better Community, of which I am president, taped the meeting in full view of the board so that we would have the opportunity to present the tape to our members, many of whom could not possibly attend. We never intended to be disruptive, but the reaction from several board members was incredible as they tried to make issue and stop the taping. Thanks to the Village President as a deciding vote, the taping continued. The board was receiving counsel from Barry Moss, the village attorney, that while most municipalities offer broadcast, this village board would be well within their rights to ban us. Several lame excuses came forth describing why they wanted it banned, but in the end the public won....so far.

Thanks for your support as we will be trying our second taping on 1/20/05.

Steve Romanelli

Re: Re: INBA to Village of Winfield: Don't Ban Taping of Public Meetings!

Mr. Romanelli:
Welcome to the INBA Forum!

As in many OMA cases - especially those in smaller municipalities - I'm guessing the problem here is ignorance of the law, rather than a blatant disregard for it.

There is absolutely no reason why members of the general public cannot tape an open public meeting. Hopefully, through prodding by INBA - and, if needed, the Illinois Attorney General's office - we can educate village officials, and ensure this does not happen again.

Thanks again for weighing in.

Steve Scott
INBA President

Re: Re: Re: INBA to Village of Winfield: Don't Ban Taping of Public Meetings!

Hi Steve,

As a reporter I cover Winfield and at the Jan. 20 meeting, the board mulled over a proposal that will allow private citizens to videotape the meetings, but only with the consent of the village. Is this acceptable?

Thanks!

Erin Sauder
Winfield Press

Re: Re: Re: Re: INBA to Village of Winfield: Don't Ban Taping of Public Meetings!

Erin:
No, it's not. The Illinois Open Meetings Act clearly states that any citizen may record any open meeting.

I honestly don't think the folks in Winfield are bad people...or are trying to skirt the OMA laws. I'm guessing they simply don't understand the Open Meetings Act.

INBA will be staying on this case.

Thanks for your interest!

Steve Scott
INBA President