Return to Website

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KWMU host dies unexpectedly

Our well-known and beloved host here at KWMU, Mike Sampson, has died.

He was host of KWMU's "St. Louis on the Air" and "Cityscape" programs.

Sampson was found dead at his home Thursday. The cause of his death isn't known. Producer and director Mary Edwards said he hadn't felt well on Wednesday and when he couldn't be reached Thursday, a friend who was asked to check on him found the body.

Sampson grew up in Philadelphia and moved to St. Louis in 1983 as host of "P-M Magazine" on KTVI. He'd been with KWMU for more than a decade and became the "Cityscape" host almost three years ago. He took over "St. Louis on the Air" after former host
Gregory Freeman died on New Year's Eve in 2003. Sampson was also the local host for N-P-R's "Morning Edition" and "All Things Considered."

Edwards says Sampson was a natural as a radio host, quick with one-liners that put guests at ease. She says she's never met anyone who could respond as quickly or easily to just about any situation.

Re: KWMU host dies unexpectedly

That is sad news. My thoughts are with his family and co-workers. While I never met Mike, I have certainly enjoyed listening to his wonderful voice and easy style during annual vacations up river from St. Louis.

Re: KWMU host dies unexpectedly

That is terrible news. On behalf of INBA, I extend our deepest condolences to Mr. Sampson's family, friends, co-workers and listeners.

Steve Scott
INBA President

Re: Re: KWMU host dies unexpectedly

Mike was one of the good guys, I knew him since his TV days at 2, he also was a good host on KETC Channel 9 fundraisers.

Sez