Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shooting video in prisons

Ivanna:
The person with whom you need to speak is Sergio Molina, at the Illinois Department of Corrections. The following listing is from the state PIO list (which all good reporters should have, either in e-form or in hard copy).

Sergio Molina
Illinois Department of Corrections
1301 Concordia Ct.
Springfield, IL 62702

Office: (217) 522-2666
Fax: (217) 522-3568

I have done radio interviews inside Illinois prison walls...but am not familiar with IDOC's policies regarding video.

Good luck...keep us posted!

Steve Scott
INBA President

Re: Shooting video in prisons

Use the contact info Steve listed. I have done two documentaries involving Illinois prison video, with excellent cooperation. My contact was Sergio's predecessor, Nic Howell, however. I shot at Joliet, Pontiac, Henry Hill in Galesburg and Spoon River in Canton. I had access to just about any interior shots I wanted as long as inmates didn't object, which many did. I did interviews with inmates(with inmate permission) and with staff. Expect to hear rude remarks from inmates when you carry a camera in a prion and some may not answer your questions but rather pontificate on how they've been wronged, but overall it was most worthwhile. You are always accompanied by a prison representative. Sergio will ask what the intent of taking video will be, but once you get by that hurdle, it's just like any other story.

H

Re: Re: Shooting video in prisons

I also had complete access to the Illinois prison system when we (WMBD) shot a documentary a few years back. E-mail me and I'll be glad to share info.

cheers--
lp
lphillips@cbs.com