Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feds Say No to Ryan Trial Coverage - INBA to Continue Efforts

Keep up the fight!! I think one thing we can all do is
increase awareness of the situation in Illinois. I have just recorded a program about the lack of electronic media access to both the federal and Illinois trial courts(airs 2/1 @6:20pm). Making more
people aware can't hurt our efforts.

Re: Re: Feds Say No to Ryan Trial Coverage - INBA to Continue Efforts

Brian is absolutely right. I'm pleased that several media outlets across the state have picked up this story. If nothing else, we can get people thinking about it.

ss

UPDATE

Just an update...

As promised, I am keeping the lines of communication open with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois on the subject of broadcast media access to the George Ryan trial. I have again reached out to some of the principles within the Court who have expressed a willingness to at least listen to our ideas, in terms of broadcast access to the Ryan trial.

I stress - and they stress - NO PROMISES.

But, they have said they would at least listen to what we have to say. I can't ask for more than that.

If and when there is new news to report on this subject, I will let you know.

Thank you all for your support of good, open journalism!

Steve Scott
INBA President

Re: UPDATE

Are they going to reevaluate the request in private, or are they going to have a face-to-face meeting with you/INBA members to discuss the issue openly? Hopefully they will have an interactive discussion with you and others interested in this matter so months do not go in between responses and rebuttals.

Glad to hear you are keeping on top of all of this, Steve. Best of luck to you.

-Justin A. Metzger
Chicago, IL

Re: Re: UPDATE

Justin:
I have requested a meeting with some of those who are in a position to possibly help INBA work out some sort of broadcast access to the Ryan trial. Of course, it's up to them whether or not they agree to such a meeting. I'm hopeful.

Steve Scott
INBA President