Return to Website

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum

Welcome.

Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durbin Says NO to Federal Shield Law

Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) has gone on record as opposing a proposed federal Shield Law, which would protect journalists who refuse to divulge the names of their confidential sources.

Senator Durbin responded to a question from WLS-AM political editor Bill Cameron, who asked about a Shield Law in general terms, while also referencing the case surrounding the leaked identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

Senator Durbin told Bill Cameron that he believes the law protecting the identity of CIA agents is so important in protecting their lives...that reporters cannot be allowed to hide the names of those who reveal the agents' identities.

In January, I sent letters to both Senators Durbin and Obama, asking them specifically to support Federal Shield legislation, and offering to meet with them to further discuss this issue at greater length. As I had not heard back from either senator, we are now reaching out to them directly through news coverage of the Federal Shield issue.

If you see this as a newsworthy issue, I invite you to do the same.

Steve Scott
INBA President

Re: Durbin Says NO to Federal Shield Law

U gotta be kidding.....

i dont believe this whole thing. we must get obama's backing now, even though i dont trust him...

we need this to work in the newz biz, or else nobody will want to talk and give us da dirt, it's a good idea, we dont commit crimes most of the time while REPORTING as it is.

Re: Durbin Says NO to Federal Shield Law

Greetings:

This is too bad. I have to disagree with the good Senator. If you strip the ability of the media to be a watchdog (which outing confidential sources effectively does), how are the American people helped?
You would think he would see that there is a fundamental, constitutionally-guaranteed right at risk here because of his stand. I agree with Steve --remind Durbin if you can that an uninhibited free press is as important to keeping America great as its spies, and perhaps even moreso.

bob