Return to Website

DEVON Genealogy Forum

This Forum is provided for those researching their Ancestry, particularly those with Devon Ancestors. Please feel free to post your queries and research interests on this board and anything else genealogical. This is your Genealogy Board, so virtually anything goes! Messages posted to this board are automatically sent to me and ALL SPAM DELETED. Happy Hunting to you all! Your Host: Sue Davey

DEVON Genealogy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Murch Family

Greetings from Maine, USA! Through reading some messages posted to several genealogical forums, it appears that it is possible a number of Murches live or have lived in Devon. I am descended from an Ebenezer Murch who supposedly emigrated from England to the US around 1700. So he probably was born somewhere in the mid-late 1600's. Also, it's possible that he had several sons who were born in England before he moved (perhaps Samuel and/or John - please see below). If anyone might have any leads or information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Cliff Murch

Excerpt from "The History of Gorham, Maine"

MURCHES

A tradition has been handed down in the Murch family that one man by the name of Murch emigrated from the north of England to America, settling probably on Cape Cod. This man is said to have had seven sons, from whom have descended all of the names in this country. Ebenezer Murch, born in 1786, son of Lieut. Ebenezer, affirmed that the four brothers - Walter, John, Samuel, and Ebenezer - who came early to Gorham from Biddeford were four of these seven sons. Another member of the family, Daniel Murch, settled just across the Gorham line in the edge of Buxton.

Ebenezer Murch came to Cape Cod from Northern England about 1700. He had 7 sons.

1. Walter Murch b. Biddeford, Me
2. Samuel Murch d. 1803
3. Daniel Murch
4. John Murch b. Northern England d.1815 Gorham,Me.
5. Ebenezer Murch b. 1743; d. 1829
6. Unknown
7. Unknown.

Re: Murch Family

I am interested in finding out more of Stephen Murch who I believe was from England. He married Sarah Whitney of Weld, Maine (known as Webbs Pond Plantation) Sarah Whitney was the daughter of Jeremiah & Lydia Cole Whitney, from Greene, Maine who settled in Webbs Pond Plantation circa 1806. Any information would be appreciated. I do not know his date of birth, parentage.