Return to Website

DEVON Genealogy Forum

This Forum is provided for those researching their Ancestry, particularly those with Devon Ancestors. Please feel free to post your queries and research interests on this board and anything else genealogical. This is your Genealogy Board, so virtually anything goes! Messages posted to this board are automatically sent to me and ALL SPAM DELETED. Happy Hunting to you all! Your Host: Sue Davey

DEVON Genealogy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Devon Record Office research - what now?

Hi All and Thanks Sue for offering this Forum.

Been researching Mortimer family history for decades -am finally hoping to find a researcher who might go to Devon Record Office for me - the Office did offer to look for siblings of my ancestor who left a will 1604 -John Mortimer a yeoman who had brothers William and Nicholas, sisters Jone (Fugare) and Alice (Gifford).
Now, Devon RO can't do this anymore.
John, (who had an ancestor of the same location, Priorton - c.1558 will destroyed in the blitz) left money also to a 'kinswoman' Thomasine Fulford but nothing to any children unless 'James Mortimer' servant, was his natural son (who got the bulk of the inheritance). The Fulfords of Dunsford were wealthy and some decades earlier, a James M worked for them - a retainer of some sort who appeared in UK archives.
Since the Record Office do have old pedigrees and other information it is a same that they can no longer afford to offer research - hoping someone with experience might be available. PS I had no luck with one AGRA researcher who after emailing was not heard of again, sadly.

Many thanks
Diymort