Return to Website

DEVON Genealogy Forum

This Forum is provided for those researching their Ancestry, particularly those with Devon Ancestors. Please feel free to post your queries and research interests on this board and anything else genealogical. This is your Genealogy Board, so virtually anything goes! Messages posted to this board are automatically sent to me and ALL SPAM DELETED. Happy Hunting to you all! Your Host: Sue Davey

DEVON Genealogy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Locating John Denney

I am trying to locate the birth place of my great great grandfather but not having much luck. I hope someone here can help.
My g/g/grandfather is purported to have been born in Devon in 1814. His name is John Denney/Denny. He had at least one brother Thomas. They both moved to Australia in the early to mid 1800's and eventually settled in Tasmania. My relatives mostly say that he was born in Devon. He died at the age of 69 in 1883 so that would put his birth around 1814. If anyone could help I would be most grateful.

Thanks
John

Re: Locating John Denney

John,
He is also my direct ancestor.

John Denney:
- Arrived in Launceston on 28 Sep 1837 aboard the ship "Children"
- Married Elizabeth Maria Thompson on 4 Jun 1846; quite a few children.
- Died 1883, Barrington

Thomas Denney:
- Arrived in Hobart in 29 Oct 1842 (from Port Phillip) aboard the "Flying Squirrel"
- Married Flora McDonald, 1854
- Died 1894, Mersey.

John's (and Thomas's) birthplace is a big question, as we have very few clues to indicate even which county in England he/they came from. There are several candidate families that have both a John and Thomas as children within appropriate date ranges. None of those include Devon.

Possibilities:
1. John Denney & Susan/Susanna;
John b.12 Feb 1814 SAINT MARY,NEWINGTON,SURREY,ENGLAND
Thomas b. 15 July 1822 SAINT MARY,NEWINGTON,SURREY,ENGLAND
+ other children

2. Samuel Denney/Denny & Elizabeth
John 2 October 1814 Barford, Norwich, Norfolk, England
Thomas 26 May 1816 Barnham Broom, Norwich, Norfolk, England
+ other children

3. John Denny & Hannah Burnicle (m. 11 Nov 1815 Merske on Cleveland, York)
John chr. 1819 Merske on Cleveland
Thomas chr. 1821 "

If you have any additional sources that may provide some insight into determining which of these (or perhaps others), I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Martin