Return to Website

DEVON Genealogy Forum

This Forum is provided for those researching their Ancestry, particularly those with Devon Ancestors. Please feel free to post your queries and research interests on this board and anything else genealogical. This is your Genealogy Board, so virtually anything goes! Messages posted to this board are automatically sent to me and ALL SPAM DELETED. Happy Hunting to you all! Your Host: Sue Davey

DEVON Genealogy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obituary of Great Grandfather Townsend

Looking for information for Townsend and Webber in Bovey Tracy/Newton Abbot. My grandfather William Henry Townsend was born in Greenwich in 1870. His mother, Jane Webber, daughter of Edward Webber, was from Bovey Tracey. We believe John Townsend my great grandfather was from Newton Abbott. We have his indenture papers with a John Haydon. The family was given several ways he died...a tanners accident where his arm was pulled off and he bled to death, and that he died in a clay pit when the scaffolding gave way and was buried alive in the pit. He died around 1872. Jane remarried to a William H. Curry and they emigrated to America in 1884. The Curry's were also from Newton Abbott. I visited England in 1970 as a teenager and tried to find the graves in the Baptist Church grounds in Newton Abbot and also Woolborough cemeteries. The vicar was away and I could not access the records. If anyone related to these families could get in touch with me I would be so appreciative!!! Looking for family to give me reason to return to England!