Return to Website

DEVON Genealogy Forum

This Forum is provided for those researching their Ancestry, particularly those with Devon Ancestors. Please feel free to post your queries and research interests on this board and anything else genealogical. This is your Genealogy Board, so virtually anything goes! Messages posted to this board are automatically sent to me and ALL SPAM DELETED. Happy Hunting to you all! Your Host: Sue Davey

DEVON Genealogy Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Gervas King Holmes family of Tavistock

Gervas King Holmes was a solicitor in Tavistock and my 3rd Great Grandfather. He was born in East Retford Notts. on March 22, 1799 and married Anne Mower June 9, 1823 in Rampton Notts. Anne was the daughter of Dr. Arthur Mower of 29 St.James Street London. Gervas and Anne first lived in Midsomer Norton, Avon in the mid 1850's before moving to Budleigh Salteron prior to settling in Tavistock.

He passed away July 15, 1865. Anne passed away January 31,1880. We found his grave in the old Tavistock cemetery on Dolvin Road when we visted England in May 04 but were not able to check for Anne's grave at the new Tavistock cemetery (opened approx. 1860).

Their five children were: John Gervas Holmes born May 4, 1824 went to the US approx. 1860, Gervas Holmes born January 16, 1826 emigrated to Canada, George Mower Holmes born Feb 18, 1827 emigrated to Canada, Arthur Lionel Holmes born June 24,1828 emigrated to Canada (my 2nd Great Grandfather) and Charlotte Elizabeth Holmes born Feb 27, 1833. We believe Charlotte never married and stayed in England and possibly in Tavistock were she passed away March 10, 1874.

We would greatly appreciate any information on our branch of the Holmes' when they lived in Devon and whether any family members are still in the area today. We wished we could have spent several weeks in Devon instead of only 3 days. What a pitty!!!!

Kindest regards to all and especially our host for developing this fantastic web site.

Douglas E. Holmes
Winnipeg, Canada

Re: The Gervas King Holmes family of Tavistock

In case you don't have this information, here is the 1851 census entry for the family in Berry Pomeroy, Devon.:
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Anne HOLMES Wife(Head) M 53 F Landed Proprietors Wife Wood Slate Chesterfield-DBY
Gervas HOLMES Son U 25 M Late Student Of S Bees College East Retford-NTT
Charlotte HOLMES Daur U 18 F --- East Retford-NTT
Address: Bridgetown Villa No 4, Totnes
Census Place: Berry Pomeroy Totnes, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1874 Folio: 195 Page: 13 FHL Film: 0221022

Hello Deborah:

Thank you kindly for the 1851 census information. This is definetly new info on our Holmes branch and greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to respond. If you hear of any more tidbits please drop us an E-mail.

Again, thank you most kindly.

Doug Holmes

Wonderful news about our Holmes family .. I am still at owe with our family history