DDG-2 Former Crewmember Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GUNNERY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM ( GIP) FRON CHARLESTON NSY TO PHILA NSY TO JAX FL. MAYPORT

I WAS PART OF THE TEAM THAT SHIPCHECKED THE ADAMS AT CHARLESTON FOR OVERHAUL AND INSTALLATION OF THE ( GIP )GUNNERY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM SYSTEM ABOARD ADAMS IN PHILADELPHIA.
AFTER INSTALLATION THE SHIP WENT TO MAYPORT FL. FOR TESTING. ANYONE REMEMBERING THIS CAN CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL AT roundface@aol.com

Re: GUNNERY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM ( GIP) FRON CHARLESTON NSY TO PHILA NSY TO JAX FL. MAYPORT

I was on the Belknap with the Mk 68 Mod 16. I have been looking for info on the Mod 15 (especially the 53E Radar). Can you fill me in on the GIP?

Re: GUNNERY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM ( GIP) FRON CHARLESTON NSY TO PHILA NSY TO JAX FL. MAYPORT

THE GIP Gunnery Improvement Program was a MK 68 Gun system that was to use Infra red tracking and Laser tracking of targets.
It used a Hughes Aircraft Laser System to track the projectile. This laser tracked and used what was called Splash Spotting. Other contractors were AIL ,Airborne Instrument Lab, Dalghren Labs of Virginia , Vitro Lab. If the projectile fell short or skipped on water the laser determined the miss distance by calculating distance between skips and corrected next firing.
The Government never bought the concept, However a lot of the Ideas and laser I am sure ended
up as the Laser guided Bomb System
I see a lot of GIP ideas in that Weapons Systems