ALECSTAR MESSAGE BOARD

Welcome! Tell us of your memories of the band and what your favorite Alecstar song is, or just drop us a line! 

ALECSTAR MESSAGE BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Memories from an old road crew member

A friend of mine saw the Web site and sent the link to me.

The first time I saw Alecstar was upstairs at Sparky’s Fireplug Saloon in Downtown Syracuse. This also happens to be the same place I first ran sound for them.

I was with Alecstar during the time they were a 4 piece with Harry, Jack, Dick and George. Matt McDowell was the manager and the road crew at the time I started was Mike Cook, Phil Berrigan and myself. Mike left shortly after I started and Junior Tilson joined the crew.

Clubs I remember working with the band are:

Poor House North in Liverpool
Rock ‘n’ Rye in Lake George
JJ’s in Rome
Yacht Club (& Uncle Willie) in Kingston, NY
Popeye’s in Binghamton
Rustic Inn in Herkimer
Forest Hotel in Sylvan Beach
Rams Den in Sylvan Beach
Four Acres in Marcy
The Theater in Schuylerville
Under the Stone in Skaneateles
The Lodge at Song Mountain in Tully
Outdoor show at Song Mountain
Opening for Foghat at Uncle Sams in Dewitt
95X (1st ?) Brithday party in Brewerton or Central Square

I remember playing clubs in Sackets Harbor, Inlet, Alex Bay and Massena but do not remember their names. I am sure that there are many more but after 25 years things get hazy.

I worked in the local music scene many years and Alecstar was one of the best local bands I have worked with or saw.

Due to other commitments (wife, 5 kids, and finishing my master degree) I can not make the show at Turning Stone but wish the band best of luck.

How about putting a “Where are they now” section on the Web site. I would like to know what the Band, crew and fans are currently doing and where they are located.

Dave Swift

Re: Memories from an old road crew member

That IS a great idea Dave. Shoot! I guess I should do that on my website too!

Re: Memories from an old road crew member

That is a great idea ~ "Where Are They Now". I remember "The Yacht Club" in Kingston ( Andy Gootch played, not sure if Alecstar was there or not...a few bands were on the venue)I was planning on attending the Sept. show @ the Turning Stone ~ due to illness w/ my parents ( I am their caregiver) plans have changed. I hope there will be another chance in the future to catch them ~ if not ~ there is always the CD!!!! Looking forward to new addition to the site !!!
camiller

Re: Re: Memories from an old road crew member

hey I was in andy goocth and we are planning to play this fall ...hard to belive right?

whats the turning point gig?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

That is a great idea ~ "Where Are They Now". I remember "The Yacht Club" in Kingston ( Andy Gootch played, not sure if Alecstar was there or not...a few bands were on the venue)I was planning on attending the Sept. show @ the Turning Stone ~ due to illness w/ my parents ( I am their caregiver) plans have changed. I hope there will be another chance in the future to catch them ~ if not ~ there is always the CD!!!! Looking forward to new addition to the site !!!
camiller

Re: Re: Memories from an old road crew member

Andy Gooch was one of the best local bands around in 80' s.
No one but Aerosmith could play "train kepUncle t rollin" like these guys. Brett could play a guitar pretty good to.
Uncle Willy had some good weed. Man those were some fun times.