Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Now that I have your attention. This has nothing to do with what I want from my girlfriend.

What I am asking for is compelling arguments as to whether my third keeper using our OGBL scoring system should be McCann or Upton.

Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Ray: We have very similar situation. Right now, I'm debating between Soto and Jason Bay as my 3rd keeper. Soto, like McCann, is young and in a position, Catcher, that is not as deep as OF. On the other hand, Bay is with the Red Sox- a powerful lineup. Not matter who I leave out, I don't think he will be available when my turn comes deep in the first round. Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the catcher because of the usual lack of offensive power catchers and Soto looks like a keeper for many years to come. Of course, I retain the right to change my mind in the near future.

2 cents worth ...

Jose, my keeper list has you dropping both Soto and Bay. I did think you had the most "rough drops". Sounds like you are not going to keep Sizemore, Roberts or Pujols, which would have been my personal picks.

Ray, I thought you would keep McCann and drop Drew, but those were my 3/4 guys on your team too.

I think three keepers is a great number. If we go with a larger number next year as I hear is the plan, I'm afraid the pot is so much weaker the picking the last keeper loses all the fun/preasure.

Re: Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Jose - U right bout the similarity. The OF's will produce greater raw numbers and the C has position scarcity going for them.

I'm hoping for a few more of the boys to chime in with their thoughts.

At the very least, this question opens up a number of topics for us to chew the fat about on a cold wintery day. At least, here in Jersey

Re: 2 cents worth ...

my two and half cents worth...... I would think both of you would keep the catchers. With me keeping VMArt the pickens will be getting slim real (MAKE THAT R E A L) fast. Would think Mauer will also be bye bye.

Re: Re: Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

and Ohio.

Re: Re: Re: Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Bob - just looked at your team and U got 4 guys for 3 slots, too. I guess a lot are in the same boat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Carlos Pena is not a choice and I didn't draft the other two so "Q" and Soria I can't have either. Remember we had to DRAFT the keepers.

I can't tell which way the Catcher position will go but think after the keepers are announced, 2nd base might be the toughest position. Picking first will be hard in the sense I know I need a first rate Catcher for example after what I went through at the position last year but if a top-flight player is available, that might be too much to let go. We'll see!

Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Ray, I have you down for HRamirez, Braun, and McCann.

We all know who the top 4 catchers are. In no particular order, it's McCann, Mauer, Russell, and Soto. The only one I see not being a keeper is Mauer. the Generals already have Holliday, Peavy, and Hamels. I believe Air Force 1 will go with JSantana, Beltran, and Martin.
With both McCann and Soto on the fence, it will make for some interesting decisions in round 4 of our draft.

Here's the Catcher rankings at CM.
ADP - CM Ranking - OA CM Ranking
39.8 ↑ 1 Brian McCann C 42
45.5 ↑ 2 Russell Martin C 47
51.0 ↑ 3 Joe Mauer C 53
54.9 - 4 Geovany Soto C 58
77.9 ↑ 5 Victor Martinez C 80
102.1 ↑ 6 Ryan Doumit C 106
123.8 ↑ 7 Bengie Molina C 129
142.8 ↑ 8 Chris Iannetta C 151
149.4 ↑ 9 Jorge Posada C 159
154.7 ↑ 10 Matt Wieters C 165
154.9 ↑ 11 Pablo Sandoval 1B 166
160.9 ↑ 12 A.J. Pierzynski C 170
167.8 ↑ 13 Kelly Shoppach C 181
181.7 ↑ 14 Dioner Navarro C 195
190.6 ↑ 15 Mike Napoli C 206
203.4 ↑ 16 Jarrod Saltalamacchia C 226
208.5 ↑ 17 Chris Snyder C 231
209.1 ↑ 18 Ramon Hernandez C 232
218.3 ↓ 19 Yadier Molina C 245
223.4 ↑ 20 Kurt Suzuki C 254
268.0 - 21 Gerald Laird C 283

You'll notice all the upward arrows. The rankings were just refreshed last night. The arrows show the latest trends.

Re: Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

Jimi had Ron with JSantana, Beltran, and Martin. Don't forget about Alexei Ramirez, young up-and-comer soon to be eligible at SS too...

Kelly, you're right about Alexei Ramirez, he's a hot item on CM.
But as far as being a keeper he's not eligible. He was undrafted in last years draft, being picked up as a free-agent on 6-19-08 by Rogers' Rangers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: BJ or the CAN ? ;-)

one of many good ones in the same boat !!