______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jose and Kelly break the ice

Nice trade guys for both teams.

Re: Nice Trade

I see a trade has been made. I view it a couple ways, when looking at it strictly in player talent, the Doodles got the better deal. But since the Heroes already have Crawford and Gonzalez they didn't need Kemp, so it makes good since to do a 3 for 2 trade. Sabathia is a sure thing, but Hanson is the question mark here.
The SS position is very thin this year so depending how Reyes performs will also determine who benefits most from this trade.

It will be interesting to see how many trades will be made this off season. Last year there were 6 trades with a total of 16 players involved.

I honestly believe that this trade on paper is good for both teams. I would love to hear from as many as possible in this highly regarded group and please be as honest as you can. I'm sure neither Kelly nor I would mind.

Jose, as you have already read, I added my input. I'm also hoping to see some more replies here. Trades like this during the off season give OGBL owners something to talk about.

Jose, i think Jimi hit the nail on the head already. Sabathia is as close to a sure thing as there is in baseball to be among the top tier of pitchers.

The key to the deal is Reyes's health. If healthy, he is a top 3 SS and the deal would tilt in your favor for sure.

Kemp slid back to the pack last year but was still a solid #2 OF. The 2009 version shows the potential that he has.

I consider Hanson and Buchholz to be a tossup since were solid last year and have potential to do more.

DUCK GUYS !!!................ I will respond only because Jose asked and it seems that Ray and Jimi want imput. #1 and most important I have been in fantasy leagues of all types for a long time and there is absolutely NONE I would rather be in than the OGBL. #2 I love playing fantasy baseball with nine quality guys that Jimi has brought together in the OGBL. #3 I assume ( I know what assuming makes you)we all try to beat each and every other guy in the league. SO WHY IN THE HEXX DO WE GET ALL GIDDY when two guys make a trade that helps them beat the other eight guys. I makes absolulely no sense to me whatsoever. I love you all, but I am not here to try to help you beat me and everyone else.... I am busy looking after the hero's of Gettysburg. Last year two of my mates in the Red ( Ray and Jimi ) pulled off a great trade that helped both of them. All of you say what a great trade that was, I say it made it much more difficult for Ron and I all year long and it was like taking bitter medicine each time Wright or Jimi's outfielders beat me. It is the rules that we have and I have no problem playing with this great group by the rules in play, but don't ask me to like it.************** in the meantime to answer the question I think that Kelly got the best of the trade. But time will tell. ************ ON A MORE IMPORTANT NOTE.....MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU AND YOURS !!

Re: Concerning Trades

I kinda wish this could go out in a private post to Bob, but nothing bad is being said and only a couple guys read this anyway.
Bob, you used all caps when saying we all get giddy over trades in our league. I can only speak for myself when I say this, I'm not at all that way. The two teams involved might be enjoying it as it was something they put together as part of the fun of playing in the OGBL.
Trades are a big part of MLB, especially during the winter months. In playing fantasy Baseball, to me the closer to the real game the better it is. I can't see a thing wrong with having our own "Hot Stove League" over the winter, and trading players and talking about it is a part of it. It's just guys having some fun.

Who are the 3 ?

Bob mentions that Jimi has put together 9 quality guys, so I'd like to know who he considers to be the 3 "non-quality" guys. The 2 Nix boys and himself? Ted, me and Ray ? The Texas boys and Dick ? Bob, you can be honest here, we're all big boys and we can take it. . Also, no one is asking you to like the trade, just comment on its merit, which you did and I, for one, appreciate your input. You also mention that when 2 guys make a trade, the other 8 should be fuming. I think the winter is affecting your "math" portion of your brain. Don't worry, I suffer from the same disability in winter, but by the time spring rolls around, it all comes back 100%.

Fun stuff! Hey Jimi, I think you have a solid 5 or 6 that read the board. I'm certainly guilty of not posting much though.

Anyway, you obviously know how I feel about the trade but here is some more insight just for fun..

I had 9 players (I feel extremely fortunate in that regard) in the top 72 (using Couchmanagers rankings) and saw an opportunity to move an outfielder then specifically noted who I'd trade for a top-tier pitcher on the "on the block" as you saw. I really wanted Felix but I wouldn't have traded him either :)

This move was all about making it interesting for me and we'll see, anything can happen. After spending the first 2 years in the gutter in this league setting records for worst-everything, it's nice to see my young players get better and still have things to be excited about in the off season.

Back to the trade, if Reyes is healthy, he gets so many AB's he'll be a great points machine. I created a huge hole for me for sure. I like Kemp but like Jimi pointed out, I'm doing fine in OF position for now. I'm hoping Rihanna keeps Kemp just distracted enough when I play Jose :)

I really wanted to keep Buchholtz and I really like Tommy too. Some may call it a wash, I am gambling on the upside a bit with Tommy with his higher strikeout rate as insurance.

I'm still no Yankee fan but C.C. fits my bias towards pitching which I believe helped get me out of the cellar last year. We still got to play the games though!

Good stuff, keep it coming

Jose.... oh my God, this old buzzard can't even remember how many teams we have in the OGBL. Or when I see a trade I go blind, whatever. Jimi... sorry about the caps, I keep forgetting that those mean shouting in the computer age. ( but I didn't use OMG earlier ). Kelly... I think in CC you have a gold mine and I will open up most of my team if I can pry him loose from you. Jimi... along that line, I will be getting into the trading mode by offering some players. I want to build the best team possible and trading might help to that end. To All... thanks for reading my message.

Bob - I am so glad u are part of this league. U really keep me smiling. :-)

I like the off season trading to keep this an interesting year round hobby for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the keeper decisions of 6, 7 or 8. I think that adds another interesting strategy to the off season.

Thanks Ray, the feeling is mutual. Off season trades might determine a 6 or a 7 or an 8. Just another twist in the crazy raod of the OGBL.

Good point, as far as pitching goes especially. I'm basically saying Tommy will be the best possible pick available about the 8th round but that might not be true. I'm for sure keeping 8 so I'll have to sit back and see what "could have been" during the 7th and 8th rounds.

Again, good stuff.

Just watched 50 most interesting trades on MLB,very interesting but I learned one thing,until the season plays out we won't know who got the better of the deal.Some were good for both teams,while others were a disaster.

Best in a Long Time

Nice thread! Quality guys with some quality posts!!