Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
keepers

When will we know (or vote on)the totol number of keepers going into 2012? I understand we get up to 2 extra "minor league" keepers if they meet the conditions, but how many "normal" major league keepers this year?

Re: keepers

I believed we voted very late Oct.; after World Series maybe.

It looked to me that everyone was happy with the 6 to 8 Keeper option. I'm thinking we'll stay with it as it worked out well.
Any qualified MiL players won't be keepers, they'll be "reserved" and added to your roster after the draft is finished.

the 6 to 8 option did work well this season, but I was wondering if there is any interest in upping the option to 9 or 10.

With the change in the snake draft next year, I for one would like the option to hold on a little more of the core team.

thoughts anyone???

I'm still happy with the 6 to 8 player keepers..

I still want more. LOL

I'm with Ray.I kind of got attached to some of my guys & would like to hang on to them.Also my AA minor leaguer played too much at the end of the year & he's probably at least 1 year away so I would have to keep him even tho he will probably platoon in OF.

I'm ready to dump my whole team. How about only four keepers ????

Bob,you should start thinking about trades if you aren't happy with your team.I'd gladly take Vic Mart,Votto,Utley,Santana,Mc Cutcheon,Lee & Hudson.

Ted/Bob - Part of my thinking about more keepers is also about trades. More keepers will stimulate more trades during the off season, which I think is part of the fun and also a good way to build the nucleus of a good team before the draft.

I submit that Jose won the league this season largely due to his successful trading in the off season.

I see many teams with excess parts that may be good fits for other teams but not if we limit the amount of keepers. If we are a keeper league I say lets move forward each year with keepers, trades and a draft.

Conversely, it would also be OK if we ditch the keeper league premise and just start over from scratch. That kind of league draft is pretty exciting, too.

Ray --- you have to remember that your good and some of us need crutches. As to trading, I always get myself cornsuggled ( Ted will correct the spelling). Honestly the 6 to 8 program that is in place is plenty exciting. I should recommend to you a ROTO league by ESPN that I am in where guys get dropped and replaced dailey. One guy was pitching in a game in the first inning and he was dropped for a guy who was starting the next day. Geeezz, now that is exciting.

Bob - actually I'm a little worried about the daily change stuff. My work schedule is very difficult some times and I probably will miss the cutoff on a lot of changes, but I'll do the best i can.

Although I thought is was nutty, I liked the way the variable keeper number worked. I would like to see it raised to 8 to 10 or at least 7 to 9 this year.

A low number of keepers does not let you benefit from your draft the prior year. Last year I picked up Freeman in 20th and YEscobar in 21st and Kimbel in 22nd and Morse in 25th. They were all core members of my team that I would love to keep. However, it is hard to see them bumping any much less 4 of last years keepers (Tex, Pedroia,Zim. Mauer, Choo, Strasberg and UJ w/Scherzer 8th round draft).

Barry...If I might be blunt?....You just have too many good players on your club. I on the other hand am thinking of dropping Utley and a couple of "keepers" and try to revamp ( ted is that a word?) my whole team.

Bob ... if they were as good as I give them credit for ... I would not be drafting in the 5th slot.