Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Switching Our Format

Since we will be going to a different style of lineup deadline next season those of you who pay for a service might want to reconsider that in 2012.
You'll no longer need to know SP double starts each week, and with so many free sites to choose from you can save some cash.
Here's a web address that gives daily lineups each morning (also weather),
http://www.rotoinfo.com/?game=lineup

Re: Switching Our Format

Thanks Jimi

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

Why don't I need to know SP doubles. Maybe I don't understand the SP rule change.

Could you explain it again for those that can't remember where their keys are 5 minutes after putting them down.

I'm starting to gat a little bit nervous, too. I never played in a daily league and pretty sure I won't have enough dedicated time each day to make changes based on weather and daily team lineups.

Re: Switching Our Format - Barry/Ray

The reason 2 start SPs are not a priority is that each owner will be starting his best 8 starts each week. Some weeks you could very well have SPs who will start twice, but you won't be looking for 2 start SPs as in the past.
Lineups are still turned in every Sunday night/ Monday morning, with 5 SP slots in the starting lineup an owner can set up most of his SPs right then, but will likely need to make a change or 2 to it as the week moves on.
This goes for the hitters too. Owners do not need to make changes every day, but if they choose to they can. One can make lineup changes days in advance if they know that they'll be too busy to do it later.
The system is so much better than the way we have been playing these past few years. I would of switched it well before now if I had known it, since I just tried it this season.
It puts owners in more control and takes more of the luck factor out of it. No longer will an injured player cost you 0's during the week as you simply remove him and put in a bench player in his spot. I can name many more examples of why it works better, but I'm sure you all get what I'm talking about.

I'd like to add that I know that you guys will feel like I do once you see how it works. It won't overwork you, trust me on this. In some ways it makes things even easier. For instance, no longer do you have to gamble on a couple weaker SPs who are suppose to be 2Xing. You pick your 8 best starts, all or some at the beginning of week, or some later on during the week. Same with hitters, you can take them in and out as you please.

Any more questions? Keep posting them and I'll do my best to keep answering them.

If I understand it correctly, it is gonna be very important that we know if a player is getting the day off or if a game is gonna be rained out, right?

If we are not available to make that kind of change before game time each day, then we are liable to lose points by not switching out the player. Is that right?

I'm just a little worried cuz 2 or 3 times a week, I am not home before the games start and potentially any of the other days during the week, I could be delayed at work and get home after the evening games start. Is that gonna put me at a disadvantage?

I've been using this type of format in one of my leagues the last few yrs, and like it really well. Yes it's a daily lineup lg, but you set it for the wk on Sun. night, and then if you have time to check it and fine tune it each night during the wk, then you tweak it as you see fit. But, if your too busy, then at least you have set your lineup on Sunday night, or the last time you checked on it. If your stud SP gets rained out and is going the next day instead, then you just check it that night, make sure he's listed as a starter for the next day, and your set. Also, and maybe more importantly, it lets you insert a bench batter into your lineup on Tuesday (or Wed if your not home on Mon. night), for those players that always seem to get hurt on Monday. You can set your team once a wk, or each day if you like. I like the flexibility.

Re: Switching Our Format - Earl

Very well said Earl. Thanks for the input!

Looks like you need backup hitters more. In past, for example, I knew Pedroia was at 2nd and Mauer was C when healthy so I did not carry a backup 2B or C. If he was hurt I just picked up a waiver wire pick. I used the slots to carry an extra OF or 1B that might be my DH on any given week. Now you have to have a backup for each guy to at minimum put in on off days.

AROXX if you miss a daily switch or 2 maybe the rest of use will get a little closer to your scores.

Re: Switching Our Format - Barry

Barry, you are correct about needing extra hitters to pick from, but do remember that the waiver wire will now run 7 days a week, which means, if you need a 2B tomorrow, you can go to the waivers and get a new 2B tonight and have him in your lineup before tomorrow's lineup deadline.
The best way to handle this is a balanced roster, having some hitters that play multiple positions is a plus. With our roster size (25 man) and 8 SP starts a week, owners should be able to cover open slots the majority of the time. There will be times when you will have open slots, everyone will have them at times.
This format can lead to more player movement, with that in mind I will be proposing that we adjust the cost of adding a player from $1.00 down to $.50.