Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drafting college players

I realize this is against the rules but for the first time, I've got my eyes on a couple of players that are sure to be drafted and playing minor league ball by July 31st. Part of this is because of the expanded Mil bench, you guys have picked the prospect list pretty clean which is causing me to look for players that haven't hit the list yet. The other part is that the team I follow has a couple of players I think are going to starting on ML rosters sooner rather than later.

My question is, when can I pick them up and stash as Mil players? Right after the draft? Do I need to wait until they sign a contract? Do I need to wait until they are assigned to a minor league team? Or maybe do I need to wait until they actually play in a minor league game? I've been saving a couple of spots on my bench for these guys so obviously I'm going to want to get them as soon as possible so someone else doesn't snake them from me.

Thanks for the help comish.

P.S. The #1 ranked Beavers are playing University of Portland at Volcano stadium (minor league team) tonight which is less than 5 minutes from my house. We'll be taking the family including grandma and grandpa. Weather is perfect, should be a great time.

Re: Drafting college players

You've brought up a good question Dick. This has never been discussed before but I do recall what went down last year. Once the MLB draft started and players were drafted they were then picked up via the OGBL waiver wire.
So the way I see it, once a college/HS player is drafted, he becomes a FA for the OGBL. But, do remember that CBS needs to have such player in it's player pool. I have just e-mailed CBS the following question,

"Hi, was wondering what your guidelines for adding players to your player pool are? Since we have MiL slots in our league, some owners want to pickup the top players in this years MLB draft of College/HS players.
When can these players be added to the CBS player pool?"

Once I get their answer I will relay it here. We'll then get a better idea on how things will take place.

I remember I had my eyes on Jonathan Gray last year and just kept checking after the draft when CBS made him available. That said, I missed it by a couple of days and Gray, Appel, all of them were kind of out there for any of us to grab but it's not like it was a formal process or time when they are available. This certainly could use some refining from a timing standpoint but I'll play along with whatever the process is.

Dick, you will want to make sure you don't ruin your waiver priority by picking up a scrub for a Monday game :)

Re: Drafting college players - Answers From CBS

I got 3 answers from 3 different reps. They all said the same thing.

For now these players can be added as unlisted players. To add an unlisted player please go to Commish Tools - Tools - In-season Rosters - Add Unlisted Player. When the player is officially added to the player pool database you can add the real player and drop the unlisted player you have created.. Be sure to keep an eye on the “Additions" button which is located at the top of the Player - Stats page. This page displays the most recent players that have been added to the player pool.

Thank you for continuing to make CBSSports.com your Fantasy destination. Please reply to this email should you have additional concerns or more details to provide for updating your question.

Have a great season,
Commish Jonah

You can add those players to your player pool as unlisted players. Once they are signed and are on a team then they will have their profile added to the system and you can then switch out the unlisted player for the one in the system.
To manually add a player, please go to Commish Tools/Tools and click the Add Unlisted Player link under the In-season Rosters tab.

Thank you for continuing to make CBSSports.com your Fantasy destination. Please reply to this email should you have additional concerns or more details to provide for updating your question.

Have a great season,
Commish Charlie

Thank you for your inquiry.

You will be able to add this younger players into the system as an unlisted player.

You will have to create unlisted player placeholders for these players and swap them out for their real player profiles when they are added to the player pool.

Go to Commish Tools/Tools and select "In-Season Rosters" tab on the Commish Management Tool table. Among the options listed will be "Add Unlisted Player." You will be able to create the placeholder and place it directly on to the roster of whichever team it needs to go.

Thanks for your patience.

Have a great season,
Commish

It looks like we can add non-signed players and I have a couple ideas that should work. I'll start a new thread once I give it a little though.

This is as far as you can get from the Beavers, but thought some of you might like to follow my Grandson Brandon Maddern who plays in his first NCAA Div III tourney game today at 4 pm weather permitting. It is really neat that these games are "streamed" and I can watch or listen to them. John Carroll a # 6 seek plays Salisbury (MD) a # 3 seed in the double elimination tourney at Marietta. This is the same site that they just won the OAC Tourney last weekend, so that has to be a small advantage for the Blue Streaks. While I have your eyes...... Brandon was just elected to the second team OAC All Star team and what makes Grandpa even more proud his grades came in yesterday at 3.53 GPA.

Very cool, best of luck in the playoffs.

At the game last night, we had guys on first and second with two outs and our best hitter and potential player of the year at the plate and they plunked him. Felt really satisfying when the next hitter clubbed a tie breaking grand salami to make them pay.

Re: Drafting college players - Answers From CBS

Thanks for looking into this Jimi. I was going to mention that I play in a fb keeper league through CBS and we can put anyone we want on our roster so I figured there was a way to input players not on their list. But there is no minor leagues for fb so it makes a lot more sense to allow us to have college players on our rosters so I'm not suggesting we do the same.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with.