Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
re-TIE-red

I've always been interested in numbers, but statistics has never been my strong point. This year I have been the away/losing team on two tie scores. I was trying to think of the odds of that happening.

If the average week there is about a 100 points between the top score and the bottom score, and a third of a point is really our smallest unit of measure, we have about 300 possible landing points for any score in the week. That would make it about a 1/3 of one percent chance of two teams landing on the exact same score (I think).

However, we play about 4 games a week and you are the away team on half of them so the chance in any given week of tying an away score would be double the 1/3 of one percent, i.e. 2/3 of one percent.

Since we have 20 weeks in the regular season and you can do this for the first time in any of the first 19 weeks (if we ignore the small chance of doing it twice the same week), (I think) we have to multiply the 2/3 of one percent by 19, leaving us with 12.75 percent of tying once.

This is where my statistics gets fuzzy. I think the 2nd tie would be 12.75 percent of that 12.75 percent or 1.6 percent because likewise it could happen in any of the other 19 weeks.

Then again, if you don't care who ties twice and loses, you would multiply that by 12 teams and get 19.2 percent of the time it would happen to someone.
(I think).

Re: re-TIE-red

Barry... I am going to let a younger mind work with your question. I do find it interesting, however.
Bobo

Dang, if you can figure this stuff out, then you should be able to figure out how to win all your games!

I sure can't figure that out. I get confused with addition and subtraction.