Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
On This Day 1933

I never new that Babe Ruth pitched a complete game at age 38. Here's the account.

Although he gives up 12 hits and 5 earned runs, 38 year-old Babe Ruth goes the distance to beat the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium, 6-5. The 'Sultan of Swat's' performance on the mound, a ploy to attract fans to a meaningless game, will be his last appearance as a pitcher, a position in which the future Hall of Fame slugger will post a 94-46 career record.

Re: And 1949 Joe Dimaggio Day

"I like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - JOE DiMAGGIO, on the day he is honored at Yankee Stadium

The Bronx Bombers stage a Joe DiMaggio Day at the Bronx ballpark, showering the future Hall of Fame outfielder with an unprecedented haul that includes two cars, a boat, three hundred quarts of ice cream, and a cocker spaniel. The superstar tells the capacity crowd, which includes his mother and brother Dom, a member of the visiting Red Sox, "I like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee".

Re: And 1951 Coast to Coast

The Giants' 3-1 victory over the Dodgers in the first game of the National League playoffs is the first major league contest to be televised coast-to-coast. CBS, who obtained rights to the game, transmits the picture from Ebbets Field, but has to get the signal from ABC, who had made previously made arrangements with WOR-TV, the New York station which carried Brooklyn's regular season games.

Re: And 1961 Roger Hits 61

Breaking the Babe's single season home run mark, Roger Maris hits his historic 61st homer off Tracy Stallard when the Yankees defeat the Red Sox, 1-0. On this date, exactly two years later, a baby named Mark McGwire will be born.