Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Typical Government Decision

They wait until someone dies, then award him the Medal of Freedom.

It was just awarded to Yogi Berra after a couple years of his fans petitioning for it. It would of been much nicer to have happened while he was still alive.

Re: Typical Government Decision

I had that same thought. If Yogi had played for the White Sox, he would have gotten the medal years ago.

I liked Yogi, but frankly I don't believe he should have been given the Metal of Freedom just because he served in WWII. My Dad served and I don't recall him getting one. Being famous unrelated to serving your country should not be the criteria.

There are tons of famous people. I separate them into 2 groups- those who deserve to be famous and those who do not. Yogi deserves to be in the first group. Hall of Fame ballplayer, 10 WS rings, MVP and a great human being. He was one of those players who welcomed Elston Howard, the first black Yankee, with open arms and has always been identified with being a big civil rights supporter. He was a great American, just like I'm sure your dad was, but he was one of the best in his field of endeavors. I think Yogi was very deserving of this award and if he wasn't, then I can't think of too many people who are. Just my humble opinion.