Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trading for Elite SPs

I find myself smiling as each manager as OGBL updates their on the block and makes trade offers.

Like me all of us great managers will offer our hitters in return for an elite SP, but will not want to give up an elite SP in return. This tells me at least that pitching is one of the necessary keys to an effective season. Without pitching it is a difficult road to the OGBL playoffs each year, whereas hitting can be more balanced.

At least one of our managers has shown us this year after year by making it into the playoffs with great pitching.

So I ask, What are our thoughts mates?

Happy trading and may they all be good ones,
Ron

Re: Trading for Elite SPs

Sometimes you have to get a little creative. After offering Blackmon one on one to a few owners for an elite SP and getting rejected, I and Barry made the trade that you are all familiar with. I got Darvish, Ozuna and a minor league prospect and Barry got Blackmon and 2 top minor league SPs who are least one of them should be in the show in 2018. As to who got the best of this deal, only time will tell.

Jose,

Yes, you got a great deal there and very creative.

As I recall, I was the one that traded Blackmon to you. ;)

Obviously like in MLB, you need pitching. Every week you get 8 starts and an elite pitcher will get you 2+ points per start over very good pitcher on average and will rarely have a disaster that could cost 8 to 10 points.

That said as Aroxx's pitching heavy team has found out that by the end of the season (aka our playoffs) all pitchers because of either their arms or their managers can be more human also.

I will try to do a better job, this year. :-)

This discussion is very helpful for a newbie getting used to the new (and unusual) scoring parameters. Not surprisingly, I've had a lot of offers for the likes of Archer and Kluber who I've been reluctant to part with. It's also my first time playing in a keeper league and I like the additional considerations that this aspect brings to the game. So given the importance of elite SPs, my question is "Wouldn't this trickle down to mid-level SPs as well?" In other words, it would seem to be important to have depth at SP so that you would need a few SPs in the Taijuan Walker, Trevor Bauer, Drew Pomerantz range as well - in order to be successful.

many different schools of thought. Mine is that you need 6 to 8 SP's different SP's each week to fill the 8 weekly SP slots, so pitching depth is important, to me.