Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Archer

There seems to be a lot of speculation around the Rays trading Archer this winter. If he does get moved, IMHO it only enhances his value. Just from reading the rules for OGBL and looking at last year's stats, it seems to me that this league actually values strikeouts more relative to wins than most leagues do. That being said, a trade to an NL team would be a huge boost for Archer's value and a trade to almost any other team would give a boost to his IPs and win totals.

Re: Archer

If he goes anywhere it should help some. TB was 25th in MLB and 14th in AL in scoring in 2017. A few more wins are likely, but with a 3 point win that is not likely a huge change. Sure going to the NL might add some pitcher Ks but he pitched 7 or more innings 10 times and could lose some of those to pinch hitters.

I think an equally big down side is that he has pitched 32, 33, 33, 34 games the last 4 seasons. Even without getting injured he is likely to pitch no more than 32 on most teams and the number of pitchers than missed no starts for 5 or more years running has got to pretty small.

A trade to NL or a trade to a team that wins more would certainly increase his value.

It will be interesting to see what TB gets in return if they do trade him. The last 2 years he has had an ERA almost exactly 4.00 and a WHIP of 1.25. Those are barely better than league average numbers and far from the stud value he has in our league. The K's are exciting but to a MLB team that plans to contend he is a good #3 or poor #2 IMO.

Ultra Quality Starts was.......Re: Archer

I was in a mid-season points league last year that experimented with the idea of 3 points for an ultra-quality start (7 innings and 2 or fewer runs) and it was VERY successful. Folks loved it.