Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poll

Would you pay Hosmer the reported $140M (SD) or $147M (KC)? My vote is even in this day and age that is an overpay. I have owned him a number of years and he was a borderline keeper/cut. He amazingly had his best year in his walk year. How many times have we seen this go badly for the team signing a player? Just a thought not a sermon.

Re: Poll

His value is much higher to KC; won WS there, has been solid player, slightly above average hitter, always plays 155 games or more and will be 29 this year.

solid complimentary player on an already good team in real baseball. Not a difference maker on a poor team.

So would you pay him $140+M or not?

NO!

I can't see paying Hosmer $140 million. San Diego has to overpay to get ANY quality free agent to come their way. Teams are getting smarter and the market is changing so that teams are shying away from these long-term mega-deals. Pujols and A-Rod are the worst examples of teams being hamstrung on the back end of long term deals with an albatross. If Carlos Santana is worth just $60 million for 3 years, how can you justify paying more than double that for someone who (although 3 years younger) has shown himself to be only marginally better than Santana over the course of his career? Just my opinion, Barry.

Walter, interesting if 7 years @ $20M or $21M a Mega deal what is the deals Bryce & Manny are said to be looking for 10 years @ 35+ M each. However, you are clearly right about it turning into an albatross. Maybe even day one since KC & SD are low total salary teams giving $20 M to a solid player but not one that will carry a team is going to be way too high a percentage to be successful. This is likely 15-20% of their annual team budget. As a percentage of team salary this will similar to the $35M Kershaw is getting from LAD.