Old Glory Baseball League Forum

______________2008 - 2018______________

Old Glory Baseball League Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Patial slow draft?

Jimi: Any consideration of doing at least a few rounds of the draft as a slow draft starting mid-January? Everyone always says you should not put much faith into ST results so why have the draft one crazy day at end of ST rather than let it kill time between now and opening day. We could save a few rounds toward the end of the draft for the normal fast draft time to be impacted by ST results and player roll changes.

Re: Partial slow draft?

Barry, Personally I kind of like your idea, but this has been brought up in the past and wasn't that popular. Some of the OGBL owners aren't ready this early in the new year.
Back in the beginning you may recall that we held our first two drafts in February and it turned out to be too early as things change in the final weeks before Opening Day.
Holding the draft as close as we can to OD has worked out best for our league.

I'm with Jimi on this; I don't want to draft someone who gets hurt the first week in ST and is out for 2 months let's say. For me, the closer to opening day we can draft the better, you get a better idea where players are going to hit in lineup, who might getting full time or platoon, which pitchers might be on some rotation and if someone gets hurt badly the first 2-3 weeks and is going to be out for substantial time then his value obviously drops. I don't see an advantage to start drafting now when there is also many key free agents who we still don't know where they are going to land. That's my 2 cents worth.

I like it the way it is. :-)

I'm with the rest of the Cartel members. A later in the month draft is better to avoid early ST mishaps.