Overcoming PND Forum

Please use this Discussion Forum to post questions, contact others and share information on Post Natal Depression.

Overcoming PND Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to this and suffering from bad physical symptoms as well as mental.

Hi everyone, Im 27 yrs old and have a 14 week old baby girl. The pnd all started about 3 weeks ago but was manageable, it has since got progressively worse and Ive gone from scoring 4 to 20 on the pnd questionnaire. Ive got to a point where I feel like Im going insane, the bond between my baby and I hasnt suffered but I feel so lowsy, Im having a panick attack virtually every day and just going to tescos is a mission, the anxiety is constant as are the obsessive thoughts, Im always worrying bout having a terminal illness or my baby geting seriously ill (swine flu is the latest obsession) the physical symptoms are also getting me really down, I have dizziness and blurred/double vision a lot of the time and also feel faint. Are these regulr symptoms of pnd? If anyone could offer any advice I would be very grateful.

Re: New to this and suffering from bad physical symptoms as well as mental.

hi. im so sorry that you feel the way you do. i too had a lot of physical symptoms especially at the start. i had severe jaw pain and like you dizzy spells and feeling anxious and even palpitations too. looking back now... iv been on meds since feb, diagnosed when baby was 7 mths i can see how it all affected me. the feeling soooo tired, not able to get enough sleep and even if you slept for hours you didnt feel rested, it coz the anxiety disrupts the deep sleep pattern. feeling light headed and dizzy could also be a result of being low in iron after the birth, perhaps you should get your bloods checked??? i was badly anaemic after baby and it definately added to d excessive fatigue. itsdefinately tough. i couldnt admit it to anyone, least of all myself. its a god send that i found this website and even though i didnt post much or reply to posts it helped me knowing that other mums have the same feeling as the big problem with pnd is the i knew that i still looked the same and i tried so hard to feel the same but i was so low i cried in the shower (then blamed d shampoo..) i got up outta bed at night to cry or just sit by myself not thinking just feeling numb... u will feel better soon

hi just read your post and felt compelled to reply i am an "ex" sufferer of pnd still have shaky days but i am well on the road to recovery my little boy is 2 next month. I also took panic attacks in supermarkets and found myself leaving my trolley loaded with food in the middle of the aisle on more than one occassion i thought i was going mad, i also run through a shopping mall swaeting and crying to get to the entrance, i had bad obbsesive thoughts regarding my childs health and frequently looked things up on the internet i eventually sought help and was put on high dose of anti depressants,i went on a mother and baby pnd course and alos had 8 weeks counselling all these things helped me realise i wasnt mad and there are others suffering too please do not suffer in silence this will get better with help and if you have understanding family and friends you will get through it, i thought i was a bad mum when actually i was a brilliant mum who did everything to make her children happy just couldnt make myself happy.feeling on top of the world now though so good luck and always no you are never alone in this

Hiya!
When my baby girl was 3 days old i started having migrain symptoms so i went for i lie down, my husband took our 2 sons out so i could get some rest. my baby was perfect in every way, slept through every night etc. I remember waking up on the sofa an hour after my 'migrain' started and i couldn't see properly, i was tingling all over and hot and v.sweaty, my heart was thumping and i was petrified. I looked at my beautiful baby girl and burst into hysterics, i really believed i was going to die and never see her or my sons. I;ve never been so frightened in all my life. My mum called an ambulance and i was taken to a&e!! Lots of tests later i was sent home having been told it was 'probably' a panick attack.
2 days later the same thimg happened again, I went to the out of hours doctor who immediatley prescribed citolasomething or other and benzodiazepam, I was mortified but so desperate to feel normal again- I'd have tried anything. About a week later I went to my own gp and she prescribed peroxatine 20mg and told me to stop taking the others. I had a hellish 4 weeks or so with constant anxiety and panic attacks but eventually started to feel like me again. My daughter is now 2, i'm still on my meds, I don't have panic attacks anymore and love my life. I know now that what happened to me is normal and v.common. YOU WILL GET BETTER! Emma x