Overcoming PND Forum

Please use this Discussion Forum to post questions, contact others and share information on Post Natal Depression.

Overcoming PND Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pregnant again (accidentally)...still in therapy...where to now?

I am an Australian woman with a 15 month old daughter. I have only recently been diagnosed with PND & last week my doctor sent me for blood tests so he could put me on medication for the PND however this morning I found out that the blood tests revealed that I am in fact 4 to 6 weeks pregnant. I am seeing a therapist too.

I really don't know what to do now. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow morning & I guess he will tell me if there is anything I can take while I am pregnant.

I feel really bad because I am not excited & jumping around like a fool like I was when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I feel like I am letting this baby down...like somehow he or she will know that I am not happy about this pregnancy.

I guess I don't have questions...just wanted to tell someone how I am feeling. I haven't told anyone that I'm pregnant yet (well, I obviously told my husband & my sister knows because she works at the hospital & rang me with the pathology results) because I scared that they will be able to tell that I am not as happy this time. Plus I haven't told anyone but my husband that I am being treated for PND...I just don't know what to do...

Re: Pregnant again (accidentally)...still in therapy...where to now?

hi hon... you must be felling terrible.. you feeling low with pnd then guilty that you not happy... il let you know though that i think you mood will lift a bit with the pregnancy as the hormones will boost, your other child is 15 months so a sibling at this stage will be nice growing up together, my 3 girls are 7, 3 and 18 months, its lovely when they play together but i wont try to delude u into thinking it ll be really easy.. 2 nd time round you ve also got the experience of a baby, you will be more relaxed than before and there are drugs that can be taken in pregnancy although you may feel your moods lift naturally. as for not telling any one else... well, only tell the people that you feel would be able to help you.. maybe give you a sneaky nap in the afternoon coz this pregnancy will leave you more tired as you already have a toddler and pnd to keep up with... sorry for the rant. i dont like people to feel they are going unheard... as i like them to be replied to. congrats with the pregnancy. 2010 will be a busy but hopefully happy year for you and your family x

hi, can you try and tell your husband about your pnd..it might really help you to have his support especially now your pregnant again. congratulations btw and dont worry about letting the new baby down cos your not doing that at all, just concentrate on getting yourself better

can't be long because my 9 month old keeps trying to press the off button but I had undiagnosed and untreated PND after my first daughter and then found myself pregnant when she was 10 months old. it was a real shock and I was so scared I would reject the baby, I didn't want it, I didn't want to go through everything again, i had decided after my first baby I was never having any more etc. anyway fast forward 9 months and things were very different. this baby was born and suddenly it felt like she belonged in our family. someone said to me that sometimes the second child comes along to help you with the first one and help make things better so I tried to look at it like that towards the end of the pregnancy. she is now 9 months old and whilst I am now having treatment and still have very bad days they are not directed at my girls, I never rejected the second baby and most of my stress now is about whether I am good enough for them both.

please don't assume it will be the same this time round. and please talk to people, you aren't alone. I cried all over a new neighbour the first time I met her and it turned out she too had had PND and has become such a great friend and offers so much support and understanding but if I hadn't cried on her - chances are we wouldn't have ever discussed it.
xxx