Overcoming PND Forum

Please use this Discussion Forum to post questions, contact others and share information on Post Natal Depression.

Overcoming PND Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
why am i feeling this way

hi everyone, i need to know why im feeling this way and what i can do about it. so heres the sequence of events: i am happily married and have been for 3 years when we fell pregnant. we didnt 'plan' it because my husband lives and works approx 400kms from me and i only see him every second weekend, i inturn have a very stressfull job running a company. for most of the 9 months i had to cope on my own and had to make things work, i asked hubby to look for new work close to home which didnt happen. well i had to cope to the extent that i drove myself to hospital when i went into labour. we had our precious little one just over a week ago and she is adorable. dad is staying home for 3 weeks. my problem is since shes been born i feel completely overwhelmed, like i cannot do anything right, im tired and exhausted all the time, i am so scared and anxious to be alone and if my husband dont find work as promised i am terrified! i havent been able to stop crying. to top it all i cnt seem to get hubby to understand i am terrified of him leaving and him and my mom had a fight (mom helped out for a few days), i am worried bout what they (family) think of him and im worried how i will cope. i really have a great hubby, but this is too much. i cannot deal with all of this and feel like im not equipped to be a good mom, wife. ive been shying away from people wanting to visit cause i cant stop crying. all of this, even coping on my own has never been an issue for me. hubby brought me some rescue remedy which seem to make me calmer but im worrie that this may be pnd?

Re: why am i feeling this way

hi, im sorry i havent replied before now.... i dont like people to think that im replying to every message but i also dont like people to pour their hearts out in honesty and despair and all they want to know is that they are being listened to and that what they are feeling is real. too real.... u have just given birth to your baby and its very early days... what with the sudden change in hormones and the physical changes as well as the responsibilites that having a new baby brings. your husband is at home now but u are already thinking about when he leaves. iv been there and i was totally overwhelmed by the way i felt. i previously had 2 children, juggled house, kids and a full time job as a nurse with night duty and an erratic duty as well as other commitments but when i had my 3rd daughter i found i couldnt cope at all... i hid it very well for months but by then i was taking a shower and crying and crying and crying always on my own as i was ashamed of myself and felt like a complete failure. the task of leaving the house was an enormous one, i dreaded going to bed coz i knew the morning would come soon. my head never stopped, i couldnt concentrate. its early days for you hun... hopefully when the hormones start to balance out after the birth you should feel better... but if you still feel panicky and unable to cope you should definately speak to your health visitor... or gp. post natal depression is treatable but you need to seek out help. speak to your mum... show her the info on this website, the signs and symptoms and the bit with advice for friends and family and how they can help you... i really hope you start to feel better and if you need to plz log on, you can always be true to yourself through here. post partum psychosis is very rare but does happen and it is essential that you seek help a.s.a.p as it is completely treatable but professional help is vital. what you are feeling is what hundreds of women have felt before but never had the courage to tell each other. plz take care of yourself and your little one. x maresa