Overcoming PND Forum

Please use this Discussion Forum to post questions, contact others and share information on Post Natal Depression.

Overcoming PND Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: unable to accept!

This is just the same as
me. I've been on sertraline for nearly 3wks now and feel loads better. The anxiety thing stopped just over a week of taking the medication. I really strongly recomend you go to your gp. The sooner you go the sooner you will get better.
Hope you feel better soon

Hello, how are you now ? As the other ladies have said , you will get better. But it doesn't seem like it will ever go when you are in the grip of it. Recovery takes time , but you will get there. My son is now one but 2 days after he was born , i felt i had made a terrible mistake. the anxiety i felt was horrendous - I felt tormented by my thoughts. I spent six weeks basically unable to get out of bed , in a sea of tears, having about 10 panic attacks a day. i felt unable to breathe , could not be in the same room as my son on my own and had an overwhelming fear of the future. the idea that i was now a mum , forever , unable to unbirth him , beyonf terifying. i was crippled with fear beyond my control. But I am better. It may seem like there is no way out - I remeber crawling round on all fours on my mother in laws bed , screaming till my mouth bled , totally hysterical. I remeber telling my husband that i could not posibly feel any lower than i did , that i was in a black pit and suicide was the only way out . I called my health visitor who listened to what i said , and saw a doc who put me on anti depressants. I also got so bad, that I went into a mother and baby psychiatric unit for a little while. and - I got better. It's taken a year to get where I am now but I got here. I am now back at work , love my son , adore him , and can enjoy life. I still have intrusive thoughts sometimes - mine are often about the fear of being a mum - but I read a wad load of books about how to deal with intrusive thoughts , and I now know to just ignore them . I got brooke shields book - down came the rain - and it was instrumental in my recovery. Please remeber that the very fact you have posted on a blog means you want to confront the illness and rid yourself of it. and you will. talk to your health visitor. talk to your doc - they wont think of you badly in any way. if you find the doc is unsympathetic , see another one. If they prescribe anti d's - don't be ashamed. I truly believe taking anti d's saved my life. I took sertraline but it didnt work for me ( tho i know a lot of people i have met with pnd and say sertraline was totally amazing for them ) so they changed me to amitriptrline. and within a couple of weeks, i felt the anxiety going. there are hundreds of anti d's on the market and there will be one to suit you. Please remember that recovery wont occur over night - it can take a while - but you will get there. you are a great mum , just rememebr that xxxxxxx

I had a really good few days recently and honestly thought i was getting better but then two days ago there were some family issues and i hit rock bottom and did something i never thought i would return to!! When i was younger i went through a really bad period where i felt so alone and unhappy that it would cause me physical pain! I used to feel i could control this pain by self harming, i did it on and off for years and didnt tell anyone and i never have!! I feel awful i look at my beautiful baby boy and cant understand why i feel the way i do, he is so good and so amazing and i love him with all my heart but i cant control my sadness and when its comes its so unbearable! I m scared to tell my health visitor what happened as i am worried she will take my baby away! I feel so ashamed and desperate for things to change, i wish that when i was sad that i could just cry and then get on with it but instead i feel so down its agonising! When will this end???

Bex, are you ok ? How have you been feeling? xx