World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
!! Celtic music !!

Hi everybody !

I'm very much into Celtic music - u know , the kind of music you mostly hear in irland. So i was wondering if some of you knew good celtic music.

If you do , can you post some or if you know names of good singers who sing that kind of music also.

For people who don't know celtic music this is an exemple:

Deanta = (title) " The maid that sold her bareley "

http://lafontaineauxfees.blog4ever.com/blog/index-78392.html

Hope you enjoy !! Warning : not everybody likes that type f music, you like it or you don't.

Favorite Froud Book? Don't have one either

Re: !! Celtic music !!

I was mostly raised on Irish street folk stuff but I'll give it a whirl. Some of the music I love is;

The Dubliners, Luke Kelly, The Fureys & Davey Arthur Ronnie Drew, The Pogues, Shane MacGowan & The Popes, Damien Dempsey, Flogging Molly, The Dropkick Murphys, Andy Irvine, Planxty, Christy Moore, Paddy Reilly, The Beer Mats, Paddy Sweeney. The Chieftans with some of their earlier music might be more what you're looking for as far as the older, more traditional Irish music goes though. Alot of these bands have contemporary elements that some purists may not deem fitting as 'true Irish music' for one reason or another, but all of them extol and imbue the same spirit as one another, in one way or another. Here's some Chieftans links to give you a taste of what's out there

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+chieftans&search_type=

Favorite Froud Book? The World of the \"Dark Crystal\"

...it seems as though I've got a bad case of the butter fingers as far as typing goes =)

Try this link instead;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the%20chieftains&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

and here's some Planxty to direct your lobes to as well

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=planxty&search_type=

Favorite Froud Book? The World of the \"Dark Crystal\"

Check out Kila, they are fab. Kind of funky, but with a trad flair to them too

Don't forget Altan, Celtic Woman and Adeimus!

My favorite is Woodland:

http://www.woodlandmusic.net

you know, "technically speaking" irish music isn't necessarily the same thing as "celtic" music. irish music is the traditional music of ireland, scottish music is the traditional music of scotland etc....but CELTIC music is hard to put a finger on, because we are talking about an ancient tribal people here, who were not isolated in any way to ireland or scotland or wales for that matter. the celts were all over northern europe.
if you talk to professional irish musicians who are actually from ireland, they will tell you this. i learned it from my friends susan mckeown and johnny cunningham....they told me my music was more "celtic" than theirs!this was years ago before johnny passed away (he was considered the greatest scottish fiddler of our time) and they are trad scotish and irish musicians! i was totally confused at first...my music is totally original and i am from the west coast u.s.a.......

anyway, yes i LOVE kila so very much.....
but my favorite "celtic" band is solas......
my favorite irish musicians are susan mckeown, and karan casey....
i also love dervish...
and johnny's old band "silly wizard" is about as good as it gets!
he was solas' producer many year ago....

The Voice by Eimear Quinn also. She won the Eurovision back in 1996 - the last time that Ireland won - boohoo.

Check out:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=79253728

Great sessions used to be at Dora Keogh's in Toronto -- haven't had the opportunity to get there lately -- very active Irish music scene in Toronto -- music and dance

If anybody is interested in bodhran, I have one of Michael Vignoles' Claddagh bohdrans for sale with carrying case, sticks plus several instruction books and tape -- bohdran is 18 inch tunable -- paid $300 Can. just for bohdran -- will sell all for $250 or best offer -- email me at mormsby6@hotmail.com

My current favorite that I listen to at work (until I've sold all the copies we have for sale then I have to find something else) is Aine Minogue's Celtic Pilgrimage.
I don't know if it's "real" Celtic music or not...but there is something there that speaks to my bones...

oh I love Aine Minogue...she's a wonderful harper and singer....

hahahahaha!
Love it!
Merry RavenFaery, what you mean, my Celtic/scottish/Irish or what not = FOLK.
Tis Folk music I think which rounds up the whole thing. :)
Well, that's what I believe anyway!
OTHERWISE!
Check out Clannad.
aaaaaaaaw. ALSO!!!! Sandy Deny and Fairport Convention.
Leige and Lief. An album which EVERY FOLK LOVER SHOULD HAVE! tis the bible! kind of? lol
I love it. Hopefully you will too!
ENJOY!

-xXXX@XXXx-

Favorite Froud Book? all of them

I LOVE Loreena McKennitt's music most of all... and Celtic Woman, Celtic Thunder, Enya, All bagpipe and fiddle music, and I also love the Braveheart soundtrack.

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

Dear The Gothic Faery, I love you for bringing up Fairport! One of my favorite bands ever. Sandy Denny's voice was so beautiful and haunting; it's sad she died so young. I do, though, love the band's years when it was just the merry band of four guys. Dave Swarbrick was a mean mean fiddler.

Another good, but not necessarily Celtic band, along the same folky lines is Steeleye Span. They kicked out some great jigs and reels too.

And there's Afro Celt Sound System. I'm not sure if they qualify for true Celtic music, but they rock. Love world fusion music like theirs.

shout out for Afro-Celt!

The Pouges

i think that two of my favorite bands that do some celtic music would be omnia and faun. omnia is primarily celtic, faun does alot of medeival, and some old celtic tunes set to modern electronica sound beds etc....but omnia is entirely acoustic...both of them are wonderful amazing bands......

www.omnia-neocelt.com

www,faun.de

merry Ravenfairy, thanks for your post, because I'm going to check out some faun albums to purchase.. I love Medieval music and love when things are mixed with dance or electronic music... like music from Enigma, Delerium, Liseim, etc.

Faun sounds like a group I'd like.

I also love Medievial Babes music too..
Yikes, i better shut up now because I'm starting to sound like a commercial!...lol!

Boldy

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis