World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The meanings behind our names...

I'm talking about our super-egos here. I was just curious and thought it might make a good thread to see what everyone's motivations are behind their names - why did you choose the one you use?

For me, Dragonfly is very symbolic. It is my part of my magical name - Lady Dragonfly - but it's more than that. Several years after I chose that name, they literally chose me. I would go to this spot in the woods by a creek to meditate, write, do readings, or whatever and the dragonflies became my constant companions. After a while, the little buggers even started landing on me. Of course, I was thrilled. They still show up from time to time and it's always so special. I've even had swarms of them try and stop me in my car. So, I listen and go another way. Had one hatch in my backyard this spring - I saw him the other day swooping low over my yard. Gave me chills to know he came back.

Here's something that a my twin soul gave me in the form of a card. I love this inscription and it really resonates deeply with me...

"Dragonfly - See beyond the illusion to the truth.

"All of us face challenging times, when we must deal with the issues of illusion, falsehood and deceit. Sometimes these problems arise from our personal relationships or external situations, and sometimes we are the victims of our own self-deception. Whatever the source of fraudulence may be, do not hesitate to call on the Dragonfly spirit for assistance, for it is vital to maintain a clear and truthful viewpoint in life. Just as the shining wings of the dragonfly reflect light into dazzling patterns of brightness and color, so may the light be conducted in your life and made to reveal the true nature of things." - Steven D. Farmer, Ph.D.

Ok, now it's your turn.

Favorite Froud Book? the oracle

Re: The meanings behind our names...

Moonfire came to me when I was only 10 years old, when I first started thinking about magic after seeing Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I also lived in a strange house that was haunted by a spirit of some kind with a strong presence, the one that floated me downstairs one night. That name just came to me one night in my head while I was in my room.

Adara was given to me at my coming of age at 18 by another otherworldly entity in a dream, where he TOLD it to me. Moonfire is more of my faery/wiccan name, and Adara was my soul name as it related to that other world I was involved in as a teenager and in my 20s with that male being I was bonded to. It also represents my more evolved, higher, unlimited, exotic self, the woman I dream of being in my fantasies, especially when I listen to certain music.

My earthly name Kelli was almost Kathleen at my birth, but my mother changed her mind. It represents my Celtic roots.

Kelly,

or should I call you moonfire?! lol. That was a great post! Most interesting!!! Thanks for sharing!

Who's next?!

Dragonfly

Favorite Froud Book? the oracle

Names have so much power...why do you think the fae never (or hardly ever) tell us their true names...but here it goes with a few of my alias'

Laiste was chosen by asking the Faeries Oracle what name I should use on this board...It fits rather well since I've always called the moon "Mom" and in a lot of ways She has guided me more thru this life than my flesh and blood mother.

Demeteria was given to me during a ritual. It just came into my head along with a picture of Demeter and an indescribable feeling. I think she and I have some shared history somewhere.

And Willow is my nod to Brigid, I was born on Her feast day (Imbolc) and I feel really close to her in a lot of ways. She's been going out of her way trying to get me back on the right path lately. Also I try to be like the willow, resiliant and able to bend but not break in high winds.

Dorine is my birth name...it means the golden one and LOL I was the only blonde in my family for the longest time (now my hair has darkened but...it was still interesting...)

Oh and I should say...Demeteria is my "magical" sort of name, Willow is the name I give out at bars if I don't want to be Dorine and Laiste I only really use online....Ok that's all now...maybe I'll be Willow all day today

Ok the secret is out....

You know, it dawned on me that I never gave you all my birth name. It's Hanna, it means, "grace and has favor." OH and I'm very proud to have a hurricane named after me this year.

Blessings!
Dragonfly

Favorite Froud Book? Oracle

Tink was something that started ages ago, partially because I love Peter Pan and partially because it was a little too close to the truth: in my real life I was hanging out with a bunch of RPG guys (the lost boys) so I could be near "Peter" but knowing that he would never love me back except as a friend. I hung onto him for five years and I think the only reason I was able to let go was that he had changed into someone completely different. In the meantime Tink just stuck. My real name is April from the Latin apiere - "to open, to reveal" (probably 'appear' in English)*poof!*

What an interesting topic!

First, I'll go with my name on this forum. I have always loved faeries and been interested in supernatural things such as the fae, ghosts and other spirits. When I was little, my mother would tell me it was the pillywiggens that did things like hide socks and keys and play with the light switch. So I have always hung on to that single word, pillywiggen, as a way of looking back on playful, childhood fascination and knowing that it will always stay with me.

As for my real name, Nicole, it means 'Victory of the People'. It sounds like I would be involved in politics or something! But the name is really all about perseverance and confidence. When times are tough, I often think back to my name and am happy to know that it was given to me for a reason.

Reading others' stories about their names is very intriguing to me; I hope to see more!

I always like reading the name-meaning posts. My Froudian handle here is a jumble. Nanny is a variant on an old chat room handle I used to use. The "Red Cap" part has nothing to do with the faery, but is in reference to a Charles DeLint book, "The Jack of Kinrowan." In the story, a young woman finds a hob's red cap and is endowed with Fae sight when she wears it.

My real name, 'Ana' has Hebrew origins and means "favored grace" or "gracious." (According to online name dictionaries.) I don't know what my "true" name is and I don't think it's been revealed to me yet... but once I find out, it'll stay my secret. Because I agree that names have power.

I need to go to sleep so you can just call me Nanny Tired Cap.

I guess my Boldylocks name stuck because an old boyfriend I had liked to call me that, and because I often get bold at times. Not to mention that my hair is very stubborn and does what it wants, thus the name "Boldylocks!"

When I had seen a fairy this past May, she was actually looking at me through a section of my hair-- so I wonder if that in itself was significant.

(When I had gone to a holistic fair last year, there was a woman who is in touch with the Fairy realm there-- who sells fairy houses. She said that you can actually invite fairies to come with you by asking them to jump on your hair or clothes. Just dont have anything metal on you. I often will tell the fairies they can climb in my hair-- so I guess one took me up on the offer! lol )

Favorite Froud Book? Fairy Oracle Cards

Because it is my name. hehe

Oh dear.. Faeralyn really has no meaning behind it! It was just a name I came up with many years ago, and now it's just stuck with me =) My birth name, Stephanie, is Greek for 'crown' - given to me because my father's name is Stephen.

That's about it

Favorite Froud Book? A Midsummer Night\'s Faerytale

well for me, I love ferns and the cresent moon has always been symbolic to me for some reason...I don't know why though.
my real name, Jessica was given to me because my great grandma had that name. (talk about a first name hand-me-down couldn't they think of something original? )
anyway, my name that I consider real, is Zaria.
Its always stuck with me since I was about 8.
it seems like up until I was about...14 I guess I've been a different person from before. it seems like I've become Zaria instead of jessica...blech I hate that name now >__

well,fairybry coz i wish i was a fae and bry is short for bryony which is my birth name-named after a poisonous hedgerow berry.nice. it is in the hedges around july which is when my birthday is. dont have any other name-except **** sometimes.

Favorite Froud Book? goblins

My real name is Barbara which means Stranger and I have always felt I didnt belong here on Earth since I was a child, so stranger fits.

But my special name which was given to me when I started on the path of the Goddess is Fern, that sounds so familiar to me I use it most often. Last
full moon I recieved my Crone name of WaySeeker so I am now Fern WaySeeker and that is me as I am always seeking knowledge.

I think this is a great post thank you all for sharing your names.

blessings
Fern

well, my email addy is lawgirl200. i wanted to be lawgirl cuz i really liked the movie "you've got mail" and meg ryan's handle was shopgirl but that was already taken so i added 200 cuz that was the suite number of the law ofice i worked in.

my real name renee' means reborn but i was told by my mom that rene would have been my name if i was a boy. close frends call me nay or naynay as a nickname

renee'

Nicneven was a very powerful fairie witch. A scot, just like myself and the goddess of Samhain.Unlike myself.Lol! She represents my belief in fairies and also my love of wicca.The following is a ritual to have at Samhain. If you want!!!
Hold a cup of mead (or your favorite drink) to the sky and cry out....
Niceneven! Nicneven! Queen of Samhain night!.....
I do call to thee! I ask in your grace that you part the veil of night!
As we give honor to our ancestors we give honor to you who guides them here!!
Drink with us and be at peace!!!

What wonderfully interesting stories!

I came up with amuletts because I was trying to do a Trisha mcMillan/Trillian thing like the Hitchhikers Guide. So I stuck my first and last name together using a 'u' instead of a 'y.' I use it online and it's also the name of my first D&D character.

Thus I prove my geekery!

My real name is Amy which means 'Beloved.'
My Muse is called Daeken. I have no idea where that name comes from, he just whispered it to me one day.

Well mine didn't take much imagination, as it is my first name. However I do like my name, although growing up I hated it, as it used to be confused with a very popular Irish name Orla (or Orlaith if you prefer - same pronunciation as Orla). Now I like the uniqueness of my name, and I recently found a faery statue online who has my name too, which is very apt

Well other names I picked like pixie (which I had for years) was a name "EVERYONE" choose and I wanted something different. So the name Faerynutt came to me out of the blue, it's self explanitory and I wanted a really different spelling that no one else would have.
My real name is Glenna Lynn (my mom introduced me with my first and middle name )She choose it more than half a century ago because the two combined means "A Lake In A Valley".
Faerynutt

Favorite Froud Book? Oracle, Lady Cottington

Fizzgig is just a character from the Dark Crystal. My name is actually heather meaning 'evergreen'. I think it's a plant native to Scotland.

Favorite Froud Book? Good faeries bad

Terra is the name I was given at birth. It is the name of the roman earth goddess and it means 'great strength and earth.' [It has other meanings but the big ones are earth and strength] So Im very proud of that name. its the one thing my parents gave me that i happy to have. Its funny becuase Im a very strong person in spirit and body [people keep telling me that.] Even though I don't look it. Ive always felt a kinda....kinship you may call it with nature and the earth. Whenever im in the woods I feel at home, like I was meant to be there.

Favorite Froud Book? Don\'t make me choose a fav. Luv em all!

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis