World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Changlings

Hello everyone,
I know that I'm sorta new around here and don't have the pleasure of meeting or talking with anyone but I have a question I will throw out.
'What do you know about faerie changlings?'
I would have googled it but I find it more fun to ask questions on forums and blogs. Gives people the chance to share their knowledge.
I'd be very grateful if atleast a few people gave some info on them. Please and thank you greatly.

Favorite Froud Book? Don\\'t make me choose a fav. Luv em all!

Re: Changlings

You show up and your one of us. So welcome to the club, my dear.

It is said that the fey will kidnap human children and replace them with a type of gentry (fey). You can tell that they aren't human because they will have some odd quality about them, a physical feature that is not quite right. They also have a way of acting very different from most people. A way to tell for certain is to boil an egg in a cracked shell.

Some say that hanging a certain kind of tree branch or herb will prevent a child from being kidnapped.

The gentry have an especial fondness for kidnapping blonde children.

-Good Thoughts, Alex

Thank you. Ive heard of teh egg thing but doing that must be really hard.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. I was like, I am going to have one heck of a time fishing out a changling if I suspect that a child is one. Let's hope we never have to deal with one. ;) ...Then again any fiary would be interesting to encounter up close and personal.

-Good Thoughts, Alex

I've heard that they switch 'em for various reasons...some say that the fae can not reproduce among themselves...but they like babies (who wouldn't?) so they switch them and raise them as their own...
The changelings themselves are often sickly and draining to the human parents...becoming a huge burden. I wonder if this was how some people explained Down Syndrome and other such maladies?
OOh I just remembered (kinda off topic) the idea of a stroke actually came from elfstroke or elfshot meaning people thought people having a stroke had been shot by a faerie spear...
I love stuff like that...

The stroke thing is very interesting. But I think i know a changling.

Favorite Froud Book? Don\'t make me choose a fav. Luv em all!

Hi, Terra. I don't know a lot about changelings, but the author Holly Black wrote a good, faery-related book called "Tithe" that touches on the subject.

Laiste, I liked your informational reply!

What I find just as interesting as the stories of Changelings, are the stories of mothers being stolen away by faeries to nourish faery offspring, their own milk being apparently weaker than a mortal woman's. Faery royalty would favour this practice of wet-nursing, ensuring strong sons and daughters without tainting the bloodline ...

Favorite Froud Book? Good Faeries/Bad Faeries

Ah I have read tithe. it was very good on info but im just looking for other means of finding out about changlings.

Favorite Froud Book? Don\\\'t make me choose a fav. Luv em all!

Well I have heard that if the mother of the switched child takes special care of the changeling as if it were her own, the child will be returned. One reason I heard they switch children is because the mother did not take good care of the child.

I'm not sure however how boiling a cracked egg determines whether a child is a changeling or not.

Salt or cold iron prevents fae from taking the child. I believe that since cold-rod iron is a man-made metal (or am I being silly?) fae have a bad reaction to it.

That is the tradition. They find it funny so if you boil the egg in it's shell the fey will find it funny and burst out laughing (an odd thing to laugh at). Who knows why, the gentry are odd.

-Good Thoughts, Alex

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis