World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Read any good books?

Hello!
I'm wondering what you are reading...I'm looking for some good "brain candy"
any suggestions?

Re: Read any good books?

"The Darkest Part of the Woods" by Ramsey Campbell. I came across this book in a used bookstore in Salem Mass. If you have ever read Mythago Woods or Bone Forest by Robert Holdstack, you will find this book along the same lines. What have you read recently?

Favorite Froud Book? each and everyone

I haven't read (or heard) any of those you mentioned!
I'm currently finishing "World Behind the World" by Michael Meade which is about the importance of folktales in teaching and showing us the way to live. Especially in times of crisis like these. It's a good read.
I also finished reading the "Hua Hu Ching" which is the lost teachings of Lao-Tzu
I guess they've been found!
Thanks for your suggestions they sound just like what I was looking for...I'm getting tired of Charles DeLint and Terry Pratchett hasn't come out with anything new...and I found myself staring at the shelves at the bookstore in bewilderment.

The Prisoner of Zenda! And now I'm waiting for the sequel to get here, Rupert of Hentzau (yeah, I know, not faerie, but highly entertaining! )

I am a read-a-holic so these are some books I have read recently that were very enjoyable.
Tithe,Valiant, and Ironside by Holly black are very entertaining.
Wicked: Life and tiem sof teh Wiked With of the West by Gregory Maguire. Very good and you will never look at OZ the same way again.
The Water Mirror by Kai Meyer. Venice will never be the same after reading this book.

Favorite Froud Book? Don\\'t make me choose a fav. Luv em all!

Mercedes Lackey is a good author, especially the books Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price.

I'm a big fan of R.A. Salvatore who did some books for the Forgotten Realms roleplaying game. Look for the Dark Elf trillogy. It's about a dark elf (called Drow) who escapes the matriarchal, evil society he was born in and goes to the surface world to try and escape the stereotypes that accompany the colour of his skin, and his race. He finds true friends along the way and finds magical adventures.

Also, check out the Indigo series by Louise Cooper. It is about a princess who accidentally releases a pandora's box of terrible demons when curiosity gets the better of her, but the Earth Mother gives her the choice to live as an immortal for as many years as it takes to restore ballance. If she succedes, she will be given back her true love and her land.
Along the way she meets a talking wolf who becomes an immortal friend with her.
Very good series!

Heheh! Mercedes Lackey's Magic's P series is really good, unfortunately she doesn't hit such heights consistently.

Similarly, the Dark Elf trilogy is so much better than the bulk of R.A. Salvatore's bibliography that I find it hard to believe he wrote it.

Right now I'm reading "Women Who Run With The Werewolves: Tales of Blood, Lust and Metamorphosis." It's a collection of short stories by different authors; Ursula K. LeGuin is one of them. It's a good read so far! I'm a few stories in and the style of each is very different from the next. A friend bought this for me so I didn't know what to expect. He knows I like werewolves but I was a little leery of the cover art and title. But I'm really enjoying it and Halloween is near so it also feels seasonally appropriate.

Piers Anthony's 'Xanth' series maybe. They're... kinda different. Prepare to be pun-ished.

'The Warlock in Spite of Himself' by Christopher Stasheff, and I guess the whole 'Warlock of Gramarye' series. (Some hit better than others).

Terry Brookes has written some good books. Unless your into serious, kinda-heavy Tolkien-esq fiction though skip Shannara (at least the early ones). His later books are better. The 'Word/Void' series is his best IMO. 'Landover' is definately worth a look. These latter series both have modern-day connections.

'The Princess Bride' by S.Morgenstern, abridged by William Goldman.

Dang I wish it were easier to look at my books! They are all stacked in front of one another and I can only see the first row!

Favorite Froud Book? good faeries/bad faeries

Oh, apparently Goldman has played a joke when it come to 'The Princess Bride.' The whole thing is his original work. Kudos.

Favorite Froud Book? good faeries/bad faeries

Wow thanks for all the great suggestions....
I just ordered from Charles Vess' Book of Ballads from work. I saw it was on close out at our wholesaler and snagged it (hopefully)
I've read Mercedes Lackey...shes' one of my "comfort readers" when I'm not feeling well and want something fun and lighter I turn to her.
Terry Brooks i read years ago and enjoyed but it got sort of repetitive...but maybe I'll check out his newer work.
LOL
I love the Princess Bride (both the movie and the book..which is odd)
Nanny Redcap I'll have to check the "women that run with werewolves" out..it sounds just about perfect.
Everyone..thanks again for the great suggestions! I've got a list now for my next foray to the bookstore. :)

Heya how's everyone?
The book I'm currently reading is 'Interview with the Vampire by Ann Rice'. One that I've read like a doen times already is 'The Rose and the Beast fairy tales retold' by Francesca Lia Block. Plus 'The Summer King' by O.R Melling is really good to and 'Twilight' gawd I love Edward...Bella to she shares my cursed clumsiness.

Favorite Froud Book? Faeries

I am currently reading:

Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss.

It is a story of a psychiatrist who helped a client with her anxieties, phobias etc through hypnotherapy, which accessed her past lifes. It is a truly fascinating read.

Orna..Many lives many masters is a classic! It is a good read...may I recommend "journey of souls" by michael newton for you? It's an interesting book about the life between life. It made so much sense to me!
The book I just finished reading is called "the World Behind the World" by Michael Meade. It is an awesome book about living in times of uncertainity and how we can learn things from myths and folklore. He's saying that nothing new is happening...we are still going thru the same cycles, it's just gotten more intense.
And I just stared reading "Give me LIberty" by Naomi Wolf...WOW is it interesting/scary/empowering...I think every american citizen should read it.
So much for brain candy books LOL...I guess I'll start in on those when it starts raining :)

Hi Laiste, have that book at home on my "to be read" list. Actually I have a list of all my books on www.livingsocial.com.

I have just started reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

I am now reading The Rules of Life by Richard Templar. Is a very user friendly book, on rules to live life by. Many of which seem common sense, but sometimes "in the moment" we forget. Definitely food for thought.

Ahh, Books. They are my favorite thing.

In the last week I've gobbled up 3 or 4 (I've lost track) of Janet Evanovich's books. I love her style and what she writes is just L.O.L. funny!

I read so many serious books, that I needed the good humor.

Orna, I couldn't agree with you more about the "Many Lives, Many Masters." Was truly a great book.

Laiste, "Give me Liberty" by Naomi Wolf is awesome but I fear it may have been a little late in coming.

Another good one is "Influence - The Science and Practice" by Robert B. Cialdini. It was required reading for Psych classes, don't know if it still is - I think I read the second edition. But it definitely helps one understand how we are being manipulated/influenced in our everyday lives. It's an easy read, and it is astounding! I consider this required reading for everyone! :0)

Woohoo! Readers rock!
Dragonfly

Dragonfly--
to my mind there is no such thing as "to late" the more people that wake up the better it doesn't matter WHEN it happens as long as it happens. IMO

I'm currently (finally) reading "Disappearance of the Universe",re-reading "Still Small Voice" and I'm working on 1491...yes, I'm one of THOSE that has three or four books going at once.
I love it!

Laiste,

I didn't say it was too late. I said, I fear it's a little late in coming. Not that people can't still wake up, which is always good no matter when that happens. But in that, the time is short to do what needs to be done to get us back on track.

I certainly did not mean that all hope was/is lost and "whoops, time is up and nothing can be done." :0) That was not my intent. Sorry if it riled your feathers. I didn't mean to.

Heck, I think it's great that so many are waking up and saying, "we've had enough, we can see clearly now." And I hope that the reawakening is ongoing. It has to happen, I just hope too much damage hasn't already taken place by the time people realize that action is needed.

With love,
Dragonfly

LOL
no ruffled feathers here...

I really believe that everything happens in it's own time...and since linear time doesn't really exist that just makes it so much the better that people are waking up at all!

Laiste,

Truly.

Dragonfly

Favorite Froud Book? The Oracle

I love anything by Francesca Lia Block.

I like Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry Series. It's very, very adult xxx, so consider yourself warned.

Charles De Lint rocks my world.

Right now I'm reading a book about faeries called Once... by James Herbert. I've had a hard time putting it down. His faery realm is much how I've imagined faery to be.

Cori,

"Once" sounds like something I'd like. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Dragonfly

I recently finished reading "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz, which is a book on 4 ingredients/philosophies, by which to live life. It is a very user friendly book, and very simple too, but sometimes it can be the simple things that we tend to forget, as they are "obvious".

The four agreements is required reading as far as I'm concerned...it's hard to actually do all of it all the time, but it is a worthy goal!
The simple things are often the toughest to implement...but I try :)
his other books are good too.

I am currently reading:

Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing your Inner Child by John Bradshaw.

It is about healing the wounded inner child, and so far, I like the book, and how it flows.

I am currently reading

The Lightworker's Way by Doreen Virtue

I just finished Confessions of a Pagan Nun, I loved it. :)

Favorite Froud Book? Good Fairies Bad Fairies

Ooh Sarah! Thank you! I remember reading a review of that book years ago and I really wanted to read it! Then I forgot about.
But now that you've reminded me I'll have to hunt it down.

I just read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch for my book club. It was really good, but it made me cry a lot because I know I won't have as much time with the man I'm marrying as most people have with their s/o.

The next book I'm going to be reading for my book club is called Ex Libris. It's a collection of essays about reading books. I haven't bought it yet, but from what I've seen and heard about it, it looks very good.

I have just finished reading a beautiful reiki book - comprising of two cd's, dvd and book. It is very simple yet effective:

The Reiki Touch by William Lee Rand.

I am now reading Angel Medicine by Doreen Virtue - even though am only just after picking it up, am loving it so far. She talks about a trip to Greece (the island of Santorini), which is a place I have anted to go to for the past number of years. Anyway, when I was in Athens nearly two years ago visiting family, I did feel so strongly connected with the land. Anyway, I never realised, that Santorini is said to be the land of the former Atlantis - although nothing can be certain, as the rumours extend right across from Europe to Asia, of where Atlantis was.

Ok, am after going off-topic, lol. It has just perked a lot of interest surrounding Atlantis for me, lol.

Oh, how I love Doreen Virtue!

Cal me terribly mainstream, but the TWILIGHT series. Not so much brain candy, but definately candy for the heart. its beautifully written. Even my mum's started reading it, and she loves it.
It evokes every emotion from the heart so easily, and really. (considering its got a vampire plotline!)
Mists of AValon, but you've probaly already read that.

The Golden Cumpus series is quite good.
i need something new to read, now i've finished twilight. something easy to read and fantastic!

Water for Elephants was a good read. It's historical fiction and was a nice change for me from the sci-fi/fantasy etc genre

I also just finished reading the first Kryon book...I had picked it up when my job ended (it was free from our lending library) and just finally got desperate enough to read it. It was..interesting...dated but interesting. I kind of started to get a picture of how all the different channelings can fit together into the same reality. But that's a totally different topic....

I am currently reading The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. A very simple "how to" book. I am enjoying it :)

I am currently reading Magick of Reiki by Christopher Penczak, and so far, find it intresting - am only a few pages into it so far.

I just finished reading a piece of fiction that was very, very good by Dan Brown called Deception Point. I was really surprised at good it was. :0)

Dragonfly

Favorite Froud Book? Oracle

I (finally) picked up Journey of Souls by Michael Newton yesterday, after it being on my bookshelf for about a year. I still have 50 odd books on my bookshelf yet to be read

Right now I'm reading the Sea Wolf by Jack London. I've read Call of the Wild which I really liked, especially since I used to have a Huskey dog myself.

Jack London got into a street brawl right up the street from my apartment...LOL how's that for a bit of useless trivia?
He was a great writer and huskies are amazing (and beautiful) creatures!

Orna-you sound like how I tend to be with more books to be read than will ever get read in a single life...let me know how you like the Journey of Souls....

On the topic of having more books than you think you could possibly read in a lifetime... my (ex)husband once came home from work (knowing my passion for reading) with 6 or 7 boxes full of books that the main library was just throwing out. I was so happy! That winter was the best ever! I must have read a book a day! I even tried (though mostly failed) to read some of the books that weren't in English. lol! It was great fun. What books I'd already read (or already had in my collection) I gave to families in the neighborhood. It really seemed to make a difference in some of the kids' lives - having books to call their own. I don't know where I'm going with this... the memory just flooded back when I read your comment, Laiste. :0)

The rambling,
Dragonfly

Dragonfly, that reminds me of when used to go to the library weekly growing up, and used to take the max number of books I was allowed - that being six

Laiste, I probably have about another ten books I want to add to the list, lol. I have made good progress since Christmas, even if I do say so myself, lol. It helps that I am reading on the train into work these mornings too

OMG speaking of books I am so excited!!!
I don't know if I mentioned on here that a friend and I are starting up a lending library of metaphysical/healing etc type books...but we've been working on it slowly for a little while and then yesterday I scored over ninety books for it!!!
It's going to take me forever to input them all onto our blog site but I'm so happy, amazed and humbled that people trust me to take their loved books and keep them moving in the community! LOL and the best part about it is that I want to read all of them!

Laiste
OMG speaking of books I am so excited!!!
I don't know if I mentioned on here that a friend and I are starting up a lending library of metaphysical/healing etc type books...but we've been working on it slowly for a little while and then yesterday I scored over ninety books for it!!!
It's going to take me forever to input them all onto our blog site but I'm so happy, amazed and humbled that people trust me to take their loved books and keep them moving in the community! LOL and the best part about it is that I want to read all of them!

Have you ever heard of bookcrossing Laiste? www.bookcrossing.com

Hi Orna
yes I've heard of book crossing and I love the idea! But our lending library will be a little be more controlled (we want the books BACK...they are our friends) mostly because we want to build/support a community of like minded people here. Also our service won't be free since neither of us are rich we will need to cover the costs that it takes to run the place at least...
I'm debating on whether i want to put my froud collection on the list...how much do I trust people to return things in excellent condition? Can I practice that much non-attachment?
LOL

I'm currently reading Autobiography of a Yogi by Yogananda and A Knot in the Grain and Other Stories by Robin McKinley
Autobiography is by far the most interesting book I've read in a long time..it's one of those that's been on my list forever and I finally got to it!
It's got me meditating daily again!

Right now, I just finished World of Faerie by you know who. It wasn't just the art, but Brian's words of wisdom and insight that boggled my eyes. One in particular stood out and answered the question of one of the symbols in a dream I had last year. In it, a blonde man stands in a dug out portion of the earth that had been flattened out and carved with those alchemy symbols, which I didn't recognize as such at the time. He pointed to them and said, "you can be like these singers." Now a lightbulb has majorly gone "POP" in my head and I realize...SINGERS! THE SINGERS like Guardian of the Gate, the Faun, etc that make an appearance in both World of Faerie and Faerie's Oracle! The fae in their purist form! But in the dream I was told I would have to go through an initiation...that was last year and indeed I have gone through a trial by fire of sorts, at least in the astral world. Let's just say the veil is thinning even more and it's a little crazy. Like dying in my dreams and seeing things other people go through. Seeing the fae. I am being transformed into one of them through this Alice in Wonderland like process. I wonder what Singer I will become?

I have just finished Journey of Souls which I absolutely loved , and am now reading Doreen Virtue's The Miracles of Archangel Michael.

Favorite Froud Book? Good Faeries Bad Faeries & The Oracle

The Miracles of Archangel Michael was a fab read, and am now reading "Dance of Intimacy" by Harriet Lerner.

1 2

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis