World of Froud Message Forum

World of Froud

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!

This forum is meant for all ages so please keep this in mind when you make your posts! Make sure you list your name (or nickname) when posting a reply or new message! Faery blessings!

The World of Froud™ Staff

Welcome to the Froudian Message Forum!
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dead Can Dance

As I'm writing this I'm listening to my collection of Dead can Dance CDs, and wondering does anyone else listen to them as well. I noticed there are very few new postings so for the sake of placing one I write this. I just finished a warm cup of cider with rum, and lit a cone of incense (sandlewood) My girlfriend and I just returned from Gettysburg PA, and sorry to report I captured no ghosts on film, but the trip (2 hours) well worth it. We stayed at the only B&B within the park, which was pretty cool. Hope my life interest someone.

Re: Dead Can Dance

Hi
I've listened to Dead Can Dance. I haven't in a long time tho...You know how it goes with music...certain music makes up the soundtrack to your life at certain times...and my musical taste is all over the place. Right now I'm listening to the Puppini Sisters (love their remake of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights!)
hmm maybe I should hunt my old DCD CDs down...I wonder where they are?
Thanks for the reminder :)

Hi there,

Just curious... What happened at Gettysburg for there to be a chance of seeing ghosts? I'm Australian and don't know much about American History.

I don't think I've heard Dead Can Dance. Will have to check them out on itunes :)

Best wishes

Spriggan

Favorite Froud Book? The Art of Wendy Froud

Hi Spriggan!
Gettysburg PA was a site of a battle in the US Civil War (1863) for some reason I think it was particularly bloody (but then all wars are). Now it is a nice peaceful green field and town.

I haven't been there in a long time...I bet it was beautiful with the autumn colours!

I only have a couple of their albums, but I like Dead Can Dance a lot! Back in the '90s I didn't know any of their music except "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove" which I hated because it was so overplayed on the radio. Few years later, I bought a best-of cd (without the Ubiquitous song on it) and loved their other work.

I always thought the song "Cantara" would be perfect in a film scene depicting the Wild Hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mRrc_moqhs

(No video, just the song.)

Hi Spriggan,

The battle of Gettysburg lasted for three days, The Civil War lasted for two more years. Over five thousand died at Gettysburg. Gettysburg was a deciding factor for the entire outcome, before Washington DC, Phili Pa was the United States capitol.

Hi there,

Howdy Laiste and Morning Grey, thanks for that info :). It must be an eerie kind of place with such a violent history. Another question now... What triggered the civil war?

Hope all is happy and well with everyone.

Best wishes

Spriggan

Spriggan,

I am no civil war historian, but from my dim memories of school and conversations regarding my kids homework I'll attempt an answer.

Like most conflicts there were many issues at stake, but the most commonly cited and the one most passionately faught over was the issue of slavery. The Southern states economy was agriculturally based and relied heavily on the use of slaves. The Northern states were more industrial and were generally opposed to slave ownership.

The Southern states were attempting to cecede from the US and form their own country. Culturally and economically they had come to the conclusion that the differences were irreconsilable.

Like many civil wars one of the biggest tragedies were that families were divided on some of the issues with brothers taking opposite sides and fighting in different armies.

I hope this helps answer your question a bit.

Sarra

This has been one of my favorite albums since I first heard it five years ago. I'd LOVE to see Mythmaker perform a story to the "Song of the Stars" from the Spiritchaser one. I've got a few mini videos of how it could go in my head. One goes with the line "we are the birds of fire...we fly over the sky." That part reminds me of a dream I had where I astral projected over a frozen mountainside with a thin trail hugging a cliff, and I could see my blue aura reflected somehow. A deer saw me, spooked and ran straight up the cliff. Anyway, the song mostly talks about the spirits of dead animals going into the instruments of the players and making them come to life. I imagine them flying into the flutes, drums and shakers during the beginning when the didge is playing in the background and the sharp rattle of shakers starts just before the drum rhythm.

Hi Sarra,

Thanks for the info :) I hope all is happy and well with you.

Wishes of the best kind

Spriggan

Wow, I saw them at Radio City Music and they were so good. Brought me to tears how awesome the music is.

:)

Favorite Froud Book? The Faeries Oracle

WOF Member Sign-In -- Terms of Use -- Copyrights -- WOF Banners -- Contact WOF -- Problems with website?

World of Froud ® is a trademark of Brian and Wendy Froud/Artwork © Brian, Wendy and Toby Froud

Fionaurora Productions designs & maintains the
World of Froud website:1998-2009- All rights reserved

World of Froud website is produced by Imaginosis
World of Froud is © Imaginosis